Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 300SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking that (ratteling) noise may be a sign the timing chain is going as 124,000 mi. I decided to pull the chain tenioner out just to take a look its working, seemed good. Next I thought take the valve cover off get a look at that chain. Again all seems well. Now I figure I'll take the front cover off just to get a good look at the rail guides. To my surprise it appeared that someone had been in here before as there were some gobs of rtv silicone on the cover. Again all seemed well with the timing chain, (possably already replaced? As i purchased car at 112,000). Still I figured i would replace the top rail as that was easy being in this far.
At this point I am searching for anything in the area that might be makeing the sound. Belt tenioner shock bushings were badly worn so I supposed that may be it as it was bolted to the head at top, replaced. Reassembled everything. starts up, no rattle. After allowing to warm up at idle its time for a test drive. Reverse, gas, died never to start again.[V] What happend? 93 300SE

·
Registered
93 300SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the valve cover off today. Timing chain let go. Im hopeing not too much interal damage as i was not realy driving it when it happend. Wish i would have had the chain replaced sooner. The front gear on the intake cam was literly snaped off! Do you think theres a chance because of this I may have avioded any valve damage, wishful thinking im sure. Time to have it towed in to the shop.

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
scramyou - 3/19/2005 12:58 AM

Pulled the valve cover off today. Timing chain let go. Im hopeing not too much interal damage as i was not realy driving it when it happend. Wish i would have had the chain replaced sooner. The front gear on the intake cam was literly snaped off! Do you think theres a chance because of this I may have avioded any valve damage, wishful thinking im sure. Time to have it towed in to the shop.
I'm pretty sure that this is an interference engine, meaning that valves can contact pistons if the timing chain breaks. The fact that the cam gear is snapped also strongly suggests this. It must have encountered something hard to cause it to twist off. You're going to have to take a peek in the combustion chamber with a borescope, or pull the head off.

·
Registered
93 300SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes/ i aggree think I have some real problems here. Have the cam and gear on order and am takeing pics as i go. will do a compression check after i install cam and gear to see if valves are bent. Cant say enough about getting that chain and or tenioner replaced at 100,000. Guess plenty go much more, but in the long run its cheap insurance to get it done.[xx(]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts