Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas on how i would set the timing on an unmarked V8 engine. I can't find top dead center.

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
Have you wire brushed the balancer but good? I'm a newbie to MB's,but it should have a mark of some kind.
If not there are ways that involve taking out #1 sparkplug and such.Make sure it's on compression stroke and close to TDC.Could then maybe use a dial indicator or another method of a bolt threaded into a fitting,threaded into sparkplug threads and slowly turning motor by hand( long handled ratchet)till it touches bolt. Mark balancer and then turn opposite direction,till it touches again. Mark balancer and split difference. Hope it doesn't come to that!

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that it was bad to rotate the motor in the wrong direction. What happened is, someone took off the balancer then put it back on incorrectly, so I have no idea where tdc is.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,221 Posts
Hi nckmsn,

The pulley hub should have been marked before removal as in the first picture. There is a woodruff key to align the front hub with the crankshaft (pic 2) One of the bolt holes in the front pulley and hub is offset as well (pic 3) so it can be installed one way only. This is true both for the engines with either the cast iron or pressed steel pulley.
That's the good news.

The other news is that MB has quite a lengthy discussion on finding TDC, finding 20 degrees after TDC, using a dial indicator along with some special fixtures to properly set the position of the TDC Transmitter (pic 4).

This from the CDs.... There may be some more creative & knowledgeable members to chime in at this point.... Finding TDC is fairly easy without too much hoopla, but exactly 20 ATDC? Doesn't sound much like a walk in the park to me.

Good luck, MBL

If it turns out you need the MB procedure, let me know.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts