Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D-Turbo
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In changing the head gasket the Woodruff key fell off (pictured) and thus my camshaft moved when putting everything back together, and so my timing is thus all messed up. The first Cylinder is TDC, so I know the first set of CAMs lobes are pretty much are support to be pointing opposite of each other, but there are gooves on the camshaft and I forgot how they should go in coordination with the woodruff key and such. The chain was taken off and put back on correctly, etc. but now I've got to put the camshaft back to it's correct space and I need some help! Attached are a lot of pics. So it goes Camshaft > Washer with groove in it, sprocket, and bolt. Does the camshaft woodruff slot go under the notch on the washer, or under the other slot that's about 120* away on the inside of the washer? Does that make sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 240D 4-spd
226 Posts
So the Woodruff key is under the indicator on the washer, at the about 2 o'clock position, correct?
In the picture in the factory service manual, the indicator notch in that large washer (they call it a shim) is directly above the woodruff key, so that's the way I'd put it back together. Obviously check the valve positions after doing so to ensure everything's good.

Not sure why that shim has two keyways in it. Certainly makes it more confusing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts