Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the problem with single timing chain on '81-'83 models, does this only counts for 380 model or also the 6-cyl 280?

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts

The timing chain and its guides are issues on all the V8 107 models; the single-row-chain piece is a particular twist on that and applies only to US 380SL's 1981-83.

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
All 380 motors in all models in the US from 81 thru 83 were single chains....

All 380 motors in all models in the US from 81 thru 83 were single chains. 107 cars were the only ones that required engine removal for the "BIG" switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so for a european 380 '84 there's no problem with single timing chain then.But what ...

OK, so for a european 380 '84 there's no problem with single timing chain then.

But what do you mean with "timing chain and its guides are issues on all the V8 107 models".

Isn't the problem just that it's single, or are there other problems besides this (that also affects those with double timing chain)
[?]

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
Re: OK, so for a european 380 '84 there's no problem with single timing chain then.But wha

OK, so for a european 380 '84 there's no problem with single timing chain then.

But what do you mean with "timing chain and its guides are issues on all the V8 107 models".

Isn't the problem just that it's single, or are there other problems besides this (that also affects those with double timing chain)
[?]
84 has double row chain. the 280 (110 engine) always had a double. the statement on the 107 is not true. only 81, 82, 83 380's had single chain. all others had double chain.

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
There is a timing chain issue with all the V8s that were used in the 107, which is the need to monitor the system and to replace upper rails about every 100-120K miles or so; lower guides can usually go about triple that, or so I read. Broken guides lead to chain derailment and catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
380SL and MB 420SEL
18 Posts
I'm pretty sure that some of the later model 1983 380SL's have double row chains. Mine does, although it's a possibility that the previous owner had it upgraded. It's best to have your mechanic pull the valve covers to have a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to MB Sweden no European 380's was ever delivered with single chain.
Hopefully I can trust them [?]

·
Registered
2 Posts
the double chain was readapted in mid 84,my 84 has a single.
i was told to monitor by startup sounds.
upon cold starts ,listen to the engine.
you will hear the chain slapping around
as it becomes loose. at first the noise
will only last a few seconds,but as it gets
looser the noise will last longer.dont wait too long.

·
Registered
89 420 SEL
115 Posts
Yes, 450's with the double row chain will crater just like a single row 380. I bought a 79 450 which had jumped time whilst at interstate speeds and what a mess! Locked up the engine, wasted the heads and the block, water in the oil, the whole nine yards. Had to get another motor for that one. I also bought a 380 that had jumped time but luckily it did it right at start up so I got by with a few valves and of course the double row conversion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts