Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And last bolt on the crankcase don want to come off and there is so little space under the car, probably will have to tow it to a nearest garage to remove that last bolt and back to my spot again.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,917 Posts
So the timing chain has nothing to do with your transmission just so you know. Try YouTube for the m119 timing chain replacement. It really isn't for the faint of heart however so keep that in mind. You should be able to remove the fan alone.
with the help of a master mechanic who was retired I did change the single row chain on my M103 300E.

and while the manual said to takeoff the timing chain cover and all of this stuff we simply fed the new one in while carefully making sure that the cam did not get out of time as the new chain was feeding through.

I had the valve covers off my M119 and I can’t imagine how you hold all of those 4 camshafts making sure they don’t slip and get out of time.

as you said it’s not for the faint of heart.

With over 200,000 miles I asked my Indie friend if the chain should be changed proactively and he said there’s not a known problem of them going.

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Found two lifter damaged, and two valves with it. I guess it would be a waste of time to fix before the snow fall.

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
22 Posts
Good luck with your endeavors. I am in the process of a full rebuild and am $3k in the hole in just the bottom end. New rings, conrod bearings (note: they still need to be reamed by a machine shop), wrist pins bushings, gasket kit, oil pan, and some other small things ONLY! Main bearings, standard size thrust bearings specifically, are NLA through Mercedes and, after 6 months of searching every last source, MB Classic Center, MetricMotors, etc, I finally sourced three complete Glyco sets from a company in the U.K. that are 5-8 weeks out. Just make sure to double check everything; measurements, clearances, torques, everything. If you need any help at all, I respect anyone taking on the daunting task of rebuilding the M119. I have all service literature and parts catalogs. Message me if you have any questions along the way and, again, good luck.

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks. When I get everything apart i defiantly will. Probably will be not sooner then winter.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts