Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving today and timing chain came off. Need to change it. Any one knows where to get manuals?

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,247 Posts
Do you mean the reinforced rubber poly-v belt?

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,247 Posts
So your engine is not happy now. When the chain lets go there is usually a calamitous coming together of engine components. Broken pistons, bent valves, snapped con rods, metal poking out of the crankcase that you could hang you hat on...

of course depends on how fast you were going.
What makes you think the chain has ‘come off’?

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened the covers. Bunch of chain was under the chain protector caps. Plastic wasnt damaged. So, I assume there is nothing happened. I was driving 25 m/h when that happened. Lot of chain noice come from transmission, was difficult to tell where the sounds come from and transmission was shaking. So i moved the shifter to neutural, but that didnt help, sounds continue to occur. Engine shut off pretty quickly, so I slide to the side of the road.

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The radiator fan is too clse to radiator. Do i need to remove radiator to get the fan off?

·
Registered
1999 SL500 w/Sport Package
255 Posts
The radiator fan is too clse to radiator. Do i need to remove radiator to get the fan off?
So the timing chain has nothing to do with your transmission just so you know. Try YouTube for the m119 timing chain replacement. It really isn't for the faint of heart however so keep that in mind. You should be able to remove the fan alone.

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They doont show the fan removal part. Only before and after, so I cant cant if its the one bolt in front of the fan or four bolts on the pulley. I try tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You don't say what year your car is so I will limit my comments to the 4 cam engine.When I got my '94 it was in a basket so I had the engine completely apart. Because the chain is broken it is not possible to just roll in a new chain timing chain. The front of the engine needs to come off to get a new chain in. The problem is I can guarantee that at the very least you have some bent valves from the pistons and valves meeting when the cams stopped turning. It is not difficult to time the crank and all 4 camshafts if you know how, I can probably dig up the information if you find you need it. I won't swear to it but as memory serves the oil pan needs to come off in order to install the new chain and I would also be willing to bet that the plastic chain guides behind the front cover need to be replaced. I do not think it is possible to remove the oil pan with the engine in the car, my engine was out so can't state that for sure.
Me personally, I would start checking on line and see if you can find a low mileage used engine and have someone roll a new cam chain in before installation. It is possible to roll a new chain in by connecting the two together using the old chain to pull the new one in and then riveting the two ends of the new chain together with only the removal of the right side cam cover but it is tricky and not for the novice. I had a bare block on the motor stand when I started putting mine back together and knowing what I know about the internals I would not try it.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,250 Posts
Here are some links:

The first links is from two EX Mercedes Factory Engine builders:

R U worried about your T-Chain and/or Guides?

Victor from restore your mercedes has some good youtubes. You will have to go through his videos

All my links:

Enjoy,

Martin

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,250 Posts
Added a link to the first link, and from that one like it should fill your voids as it contains some good pictures

Martin

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snow starts in couple of months. Probably not until next spring. If I make the car driven by next week, I try to install custom FPR with radium pulse damper.

·
Registered
1998, SL500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some guides cracked open and small piece broken off the front cover, hope afterwords will going to run fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts