Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
awhile back when i had time & ambition I tore into the 560 sec & did the complete timing chain job minus the chain, what you say? ya i know, but am ready to put a chain in her.so i got a chain ordered from our local MB shop at 240.00 i think that's a deal, talked them down from 308.40.Canadian dollars. so now is there posts you would suggest that i should read to get me up to speed?

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
69 Posts
I'm getting ready for this job too and have watched the video gogi linked a few times, and have taken notes.

I've also just searched posts here and elsewhere and read, read, read. It appears that the 1# thing is make sure that chain is secured to the sockets, then make sure again. Good luck.

Pete

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
971 Posts
When I did my top end rebuild replaced the head gaskets and refreshed the heads and all, replaced the timing chain at that time. I think from my experience it would be much easier if you remove the rockers first that way, you can have a helper turn the crank (clockwise) while you feed the chain in and guide the old chain to the floor. Believe me it’s a really easy process. This way you don’t have to worry about the cam sprocket snapping every time you turn the crank. The spring compressor to remove the rockers was $60 from eBay.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes thanks for the video gogi, helped bring back all i forgot.the chain is on its way & i think ill order some sprockets/oiler tubes/crush washers too.. Really want this to be the last time i have to worry about this.& thanks for your link Heikkif I haven't looked at it yet but i will.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
69 Posts
I dreamed I messed this job up last night! I woke up and was like, thank goodness.

One thing I've noticed, one guy mentions sealing the pins before reinstallation. Does anyone know, is it needed, and if so what should we use?

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My chain is in & going to pick it up in a couple days. I priced out cam sprockets & the price is over 500.00 each, i cant pay that & am looking for a cheaper alternative. I have bought a few things from pelican parts,wondering if they sell quality parts? Swag is a name i have heard too & wondering if there product is any good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the process of ordering parts now to complete the job. Had the same price as you for the Genuine MB sprockets. I ordered SWAG from FCPeuro today for $38/per. They just sent me an email stating they are on backorder with no known date of stock. I've heard to stay away from the Febi/Bilstien. I can't find Swag anywhere else. Not sure what I'm going to do. May just leave them be as they have 128,000 and are in pretty decent shape and replace when I do the heads when I'm starting to blow smoke.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
69 Posts
I have a 91 420 SEL and used Swag A1160520601

MB says their part # 116-052-06-01 fits both mine and at least the 87 560 SEC

Here's one auction (no aff!) that also has a fitment chart:

I think my original sprockets (with 70K miles) are OK anyway.

Good luck.

Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 91 420 SEL and used Swag A1160520601

MB says their part # 116-052-06-01 fits both mine and at least the 87 560 SEC

Here's one auction (no aff!) that also has a fitment chart:

I think my original sprockets (with 70K miles) are OK anyway.

Good luck.

Pete
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered them!

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
105 Posts
If I was going to replace sprockets the first one would be at crank. It drives two twice as large ones. Anyhow that is the most difficult one. A bad chain wears sprockets but a worn sprocket does not make chain stretch so much.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
3,968 Posts
If I was going to replace sprockets the first one would be at crank. It drives two twice as large ones.
Hey there Heikkif, you are correct of course....

I hear you man.

That one is down towards the engine oil, and so, generally not as much has not been considered a priority item regarding the last 15 years of BW T/chain posts & focus.

Uppers, sure... The oilers, MB Tensioner, Tensioner Rail, Upper Rails/Guides, Chain.. etc.

MBL

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
69 Posts
If we're revisiting some of the discussions and differences I came across here while researching this job, I'll add that I have changed the guides on an '03 Ford 4.6l as well.

The plastic they used on those guides was a known problem on those for a couple years. Anyway (although it's been a while), they sure looked like the plastic I pulled out of my 420. Even the wear on the tensioning guide was similar, with the grooves worn in it.

It brings 2 things to the front of my mind. First, if this was a known issue already with this plastic what the heck was Ford thinking! Grrr. Second, regardless of whether one thinks of changing the chain or sprockets or tensioner (I see the pros and cons), I will posit from here on that these guides need changed as part of a good long term maintenance cycle regardless of what else in the chain system is done, and what I read elsewhere.

I'm not pointing this statement towards anyone in this thread, it just seemed like a good place to put it :-D

I have another question too, for when (if?) I do this job again - is it possible to change the plastic on the banana tensioner guide without removing it?

Thanks

Pete

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,367 Posts
Absolutely. Guides and tensioner. Although if the guides are not brittle, then a weak tensioner may even not be the end of the world.
Weak tensioner causing slap is what causes brittle guides to chip off, in my opinion. And it's those pieces that can cause the chain to jump time if they get in the way.
Hence if the guides are not brittle with age, the occasional slap may well be fine I think.

I was skint when I got my SEC so did tensioner and guides only

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
same here, just did the guides & tensioner. have been looking hard for the timing gears & cant seem to be able to get any through a supplier I trust, may just have to put the chain in & call it a day. Im sure it will make a difference on how the car runs, which is what my goal is.it does have a slight ticking which might be the cam, but will see when im in there. as I live where parts are sooo hard to get I probably wont be able to do anything about the cam either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts