Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,457 Posts
All of this sounds scary - Do any of you know if the timing chain and guides issue applies to the M110 engine? Built at the same time & has a timing chain. Is there an easy way to check it like pulling the cam covers? I've often heard that the M110 is bullet-proof but, although mine has 45k on it, it's still 40 years old.
The M110 does not have the problem.

·
Registered
647 Posts
M110 InLine 6 Cylinder

Not mentioned it this engine's propensity of spitting valve shims out at high RPM's, destroying the cylinder head in the process .

Just keep it serviced, this means regular HOT ooil & filter changes and have the valve adjustment checked every year or two .

The M110 engine is a robust and fun to drive unit, torquey like almost all InLine engines are, it's primary fault is poor fuel economy .

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
All of this sounds scary - Do any of you know if the timing chain and guides issue applies to the M110 engine? Built at the same time & has a timing chain. Is there an easy way to check it like pulling the cam covers? I've often heard that the M110 is bullet-proof but, although mine has 45k on it, it's still 40 years old.
The single row timing chain fiasco was perpetrated upon an unsuspecting public in the United States but only on the 380sl and only model years 1981-1983.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always change the oil after warming up the engine and always change the filter. I will get the valve adjustment checked because I do tend to run it up near redline now and then. My experience has been rather good fuel economy for the period, certainly far better than the V8s.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not as good as my Honda V6 but mid to high 20's on the highway. I think the base engine, manual trans Corvette of that year (same HP as 280SL) got 19mpg highway. The manual transmission makes a big difference on cars of this era, unlike now where the 6/7/8/10-speed automatics do better than the 6-speed manuals.

·
Registered
204 Posts
And therein lies the rub... I have every tool required to do the job and I love taking engines apart and finding what's wrong, sometimes I forget that the same doesn't apply to everyone. :eek:
+1. I lose myself in the garage sometimes. I can be there for hours, focused on the task, it's like therapy. I figured out the benefits of working on my own cars 30+ years ago with John Muir's, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive...." I no longer drive Type I VW's, but I still have that book, and many more.

Anyway, you can probably guess my .02c. I realize pulling the heads may seem a formidable task, but that's where I'd start. Really get the heart of what the problem is, and go from there.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Anacortes eh ? .

How's the weather there ? .

I have an old chum who moved up there .

It's also where I purchased my first Ural Motocycle from a bubba living in a trailer .

·
Registered
647 Posts
Life Of Riley

I thought it nice, I like Washington State. Pops moved to Bellingham and lived his last 30 or so years there and never quite understood why I didn't want to move up there .

I'm sure you worked hard to find that place in the sun enjoy ! :laugh .

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
13 Participants
vwnate1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing