Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a “B� service. The dealer mentioned that it was time to “Inspect and possibly replace the Timing Chain� next service. I have searched on a few forums and have never found ANY instance of anyone having the timing chain replaced! Are they full of *hit or what? I have 191,000KM on the truck. It is not the serpentine belt but the Chain! Is it time to switch to the other dealer in town for service….

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
I checked Mercedes shop.com and there is no mention of an inspection/replacement interval. You may want to quiz your SA to see if he/she suspects a problem or is just being prudent.

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search on both MB world (it crashed), Benzworld and Merceds shop. The only reference I found was Gilly at the shop saying that their was no recommended service interval for a timing chain. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever had their chain replaced and/or heard of one failing. It seemed that on this visit to my dealer they were trying to get me for everything they possibly could, Radiator Flush (had them do it), Break Fluid (did it myself and it seemed like the stuff I changed was brand new!), plus they claimed the break pads on the front were almost down to the sensors and I should replace them ASAP. However when I got home and pulled the wheels off (to put my summers on) it looked to me that I still had about a ¼ inch before it would hit the sensors. Now I am worried about catastrophic failure from my timing chain! If you are going to do all the work to take the engine ½ apart to inspect it you might as well replace it. Anyway….

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
who are you dealin with up in Ed? I bought my truck from David Morris and have never had a complaint about them... when I'm in Ed I usually get it serviced there as well...

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Timing chain is usually an overhaul item. At your mileage you could be getting close. Perhaps they heard some noise from it. It sure won't hurt to have a look at it and check the tension and gears for excessive wear.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Gilly is a moderator and also a tech so he has data on more than one unit. Again, I would press your SA for more information.

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOAT - 4/24/2005 8:52 PM

who are you dealin with up in Ed? I bought my truck from David Morris and have never had a complaint about them... when I'm in Ed I usually get it serviced there as well...
Yes, it was David Morris. They are usually very good however this time I felt like I was at a drive through lube place. Perhaps it was just bad luck... The other 10 times I have been their were very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts