Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had the replacement procedure for the timing chain and tensioner on a 230K engine.

The new chain came with a link, so you could make the chain into a loop. The only problem is: I am used to chains with the masterlink being a clip. it appears that you would need to mushroom the head on these once installed...

Any commnets?

Sorry for the repeat requests for procedures, my manual doesnt come till Friday...

Thanks.
-Ben

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the big question... Is there a tool or do you just use some sort of punch???
Because if that chain comes undone, its bye-bye to the engine...

Buellwinkle said:
Cool! Post pics as you go. Can't be that hard, there's probably a tool that mushrooms the pin.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
59 Posts
a suggestion

Ben,when you can,go over to the 107 site.There is a lot of info regarding timing chains and their install procedures. Why? The old 107 SL's were always needing some attention with their very long chains(196 links,IIRC).The 117 and 116 series V 8's kept a lot of their owners wary.

It seems like they used a small tool to brad the links.

Best Regards,Chuck

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheJimbo!

Thats good, I made that removal procedure ( look at the url and my username). and I am in the middle of taking it off...

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
377 Posts
Bazzle said:
I will look in my WIS tonight if someone doesnt beat me to it : David??

Bazzle
Not a case of trying to 'beat you to it'.........but do 'enjoy' the challenge of trying to find info in the WIS.........understanding & following it is another matter :(

There is a special MB tool.....in fact a whole kit.....but I would imagine the cost is prohibitive

Some screen shots follow....can post more......but I would take the good advice of searching the 107 forums for a cost effective solution

David

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
benkokes said:
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had the replacement procedure for the timing chain and tensioner on a 230K engine.

The new chain came with a link, so you could make the chain into a loop. The only problem is: I am used to chains with the masterlink being a clip. it appears that you would need to mushroom the head on these once installed...

Any commnets?

Sorry for the repeat requests for procedures, my manual doesnt come till Friday...

Thanks.
-Ben

You might as well re-ring the piston with new ring for better compression and last another 100K miles.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
David in Australia said:
Not a case of trying to 'beat you to it'.........but do 'enjoy' the challenge of trying to find info in the WIS.........understanding & following it is another matter :(

There is a special MB tool.....in fact a whole kit.....but I would imagine the cost is prohibitive

Some screen shots follow....can post more......but I would take the good advice of searching the 107 forums for a cost effective solution

David
Thanks David... I was just pull'n your chain. I knew youd find it as I hate searching th WIS :bowdown:
Some motor bike shops have the chain tool, may even lend it to you. :cool:

Bazzle

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
benkokes said:
TheJimbo!

Thats good, I made that removal procedure ( look at the url and my username). and I am in the middle of taking it off...

Oops! Sorry! I had bookmarked your excellent procedure but didn't remember that it was you doing it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Good thread Ben, like I said before, when you get this all togeather write it up and we can put it in a sticky and keep it for others. Many thanks to you, and to all the others, for all your work on this.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buell,

I dont think so. I have to limit myself to changing things because if I get carried away, I will never finish ;-)
The existing chain is still in good condition, but I figured there isnt any harm in replacing that part since HUGE CATASTROPHY can happen if it breaks, however unlikely that is... SO, thats my 'excess' when changing everything.

But I am replacing pretty much every seal from the head gasket on up. The head gasket kit did include some small 1/2" internal diameter O-rings and what looks to be steel washers of about the external diameter of the rings.. there looks to be like 6-ish of each ( I havent counted ). I have no idea what these are for...

Just for what its worth, I would have to remove engine accessories to access the lower chain cover. I would predict that to change that seal out, it would add on about 3-4 hours of work. Besides, its not leaking now...

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 2009 E350
553 Posts
"The existing chain is still in good condition"

What mileage is on your car? It will be a good reference to the rest of us to know how the chain is holding up with proper maintenance.

Great job you are doing here. We all are going to benefit.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Is the seal something that leaks on these cars? I have an oil leak that's pooling in the center of the pan below this seal. I just noticed it on the garage floor so I haven't had a chance to pull the belly pan off and check. For all I know it just be the oil drain plug leaking. Is the seal hard to replace once you get pulley off? I would imagine you tap it in with a huge socket.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, having an MB shop lend you a tool is the same probability as a snowball surviving a day in hell.

I will be posting my experiences soon. Please stand by.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Hey guys, read what Bazzle wrote...he didn't say DEALERSHIP....he said motorbike shop.....and he's right. Bikers are a different crowd and generally very helpful. There are tools for this and the procedure is similar to setting a rivet. You can us a center punch followed by a flathead punch (center builds the edges by opening up the center and the flat mashes it down). I personally used these types of masterlinks on my racing motorcycles in place of the clip type because with the clip...if it bends in the least going on, it's gonna come off and it'll just be a matter of time and rpm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts