Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1984 MERCEDES-BENZ 300 TURBO DIESEL, 1978 CHEVROLET K20 CUSTOM DELUXE
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to change the timing chain guides depending on the wear on them. i understand that i have to remove the timing chain to remove the guides. my qustion is how to i keep all of the gears from moving and how do i put in the new chain so it all lines up properly and stays in time. thank you

·
Registered
'82 240D 4-spd
226 Posts
Well, you wouldn't really be able to keep everything from moving around; getting to the chain rails will necessitate not only removing the timing chain but also the injection timing device and the main pulley (in order to get to the pin that holds in the tensioner rail). You'll also wind up having to rotate the crank to feed the new chain through (unless you also want to drop your lower oil pan, but it's a tight squeeze in there for fingers anyways).

What you'll end up having to do is re-time the engine after you have the new rails in place. You can either use the timing pointer and the marks on the camshaft (not recommended), or use a dial indicator and the "valve drop" method to find TDC detailed in the service manual. You can get a cheapo dial indicator at Harbor Freight that should be accurate enough for the job (somewhere in the ~$40 range after you factor in the magnetic base).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts