Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes Benz 240D 192k
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 240D runs amazing. A bit of smoke on start up (only the first few seconds, probably because it's getting colder) but almost none when she's warmed up. Smooth running, just a little over 192k. My new mechanic here in Sacramento recommends the timing chain being changed at 200k. My old mechanic in Phoenix, however, said he usually didn't bother changing the chain on 240Ds. Which is correct? Or is it neither (watch the tensioners?). I am getting conflicting information and any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Check the chain stretch, if there is any appreciable amount, swap out it for a new one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it didn't sound right to me. I mean, he was a great mechanic and all, but it didn't sound right and I don't want to get to the point where it breaks

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
My 84 300D came with full maintenance records. The independent Mercedes mechanic I took it to for the pre-purchase inspection told me that Mercedes recommends the timing chain and related parts be replaced at 105K miles intervals. I searched the maintenance records and could find no record of it ever being replaced. The car now has 205K miles. So, before I drive it much, I'm replacing the timing chain and the related parts. I don't even care what the stretch is. All I have to figure out is where to rent the chain press.

I want to get at least another 100K out of this car, and am on a mission to replace a bunch of age and mileage related parts. I don't want to fix them as they break. So I scoured this forum and the other prominent forum for common failures, and compiled a fairly long list. I should be through it by Spring. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Full maintenance records, nice :)
Yeah, I didn't have any records on our 240D, but we got it for $1800 and the air conditioner worked so we were happy. Since then, we've replaced the radiator, alternator, glow plugs, and rear axles and so mechanically she's really good now. Best car I've ever owned :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
a lot of cars will run over 200k with old chains, a lot will die like mine. they often just jump timing or the guides break.

your "smoke" could just be water vapor. or oil could be leaking through the valve stems.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Yeah, it didn't sound right to me. I mean, he was a great mechanic and all, but it didn't sound right and I don't want to get to the point where it breaks
On an other Forum I ask what people thought the cause of the Timing Chain failure was. Many indicate they thought the Vacuum Pump failed and it was the parts of the Vacuum Pump falling into the Timing Gears/Chain that caused the Failure.
My question on Timing Chain Failure
Who has or knows someone that has experienced a timing chain breakage/failure? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Later I ask what they though caused the Vacuum Pump to fail.
What in particular causes vacuum pump failure? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

New Vacuum Pump Ruined due to too much Timer Shaft End Play (the title from my notes).
second vacume pump, help! on a trip-Toronto - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

You can get some idea by way of your Camshaft Timing how much wear/stretch is on your timing Chan/Gears by removing the Valve Cover, rotating the Engine in the direction of normal rotation and lining up the timing mark to the rear of the Camshaft Drive Gear with the Timing mark on the Camshaft Bearing Tower.
Do this Exactly; and look down at what degree mark is showing under the Pointer on the Crankshaft Damper.
When the Engine was built it was set at Zero degrees (Top Dead Center).

At 198,000 miles I had 2.5 degrees of late Camshaft Timing. If I had say 4-5 degrees of late Camshaft Timing I would be doing the "2mm Method" (the most accurate method) that is the Mercedes approved way to check for the Timing Chain/Gear wear.
While Mercedes makes some ofset Woodruff Keys to restore the Camshaft Timing they have no specific interval for changing the Timing Chain.

Also if you need to replac a Timing Chain the IWIS made Timing Chain is the only one to use.

·
Registered
1981 240D, 1981 280e, 1982 240D, 1982 280SL, 1990 300SEL
72 Posts
Camshaft timing off!!!!

Hey I was wondering if you all could give me some advice. My Camshaft timing is off about 8 degrees. Its going to be a few months until I'm able to change the chain so I was wondering if I could loosen the chain tensioner and just move the camshaft sprocket one tooth back and put the chain back on. Is moving it one tooth back equal to 8 degrees? Or would that be to much? I was also considering possibly buying the woodruf key listed in the manual. Its suppose to compensate for about 8 degrees. So what do you all think :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts