Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
timing chain what kind of noise dose it make when its going out ? I have like a clicking noise comeing from my motor it only can be heard from outside the car. I think its the air pump ?

Please help thanks

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
If you take a long extension bar or screwdriver and use it like a stethoscope to your ear..
then you will be able to determine where the noise is coming from..
Ticking noises at the top of the engine are mostly connected with the Hydraulic Lifters .. getting lazy.. because of obstructed oil flow.. or collapse
One is usually curable .. the other is EXPENSIVE.. we don’t want to go there..
Try and determine exacty what part of the engine is causing the noise, you will hear a lot of background chain noise at the front on the cam covers but remember not to get to near to moving parts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Timing chain noise is a constant clanging noise, not very loud, but audible when the chain is worn.
Better have chain noise than a broken timing belt!

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
heartmd - 4/17/2005 8:20 AM

Timing chain noise is a constant clanging noise, not very loud, but audible when the chain is worn.
Better have chain noise than a broken timing belt!
Because the V12,and V8 engines have not got a timing belt it will not be an issue here.. you will hear a louder noise on the left had side (as you look at the engine) than the right if the chain is very badly worn..I would recomend a full flush and a double oil and filter change before you make any decision about it, the chain tensioner is also hydralic and can be prone to buildup of gunk.. restricting the smooth operation .. A good flush or two on a hot engine (I have used WURTH but there are others just as good)will get rid of loads of crap you never knew you had in there.. and may well slove your problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts