Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 2003 -- S430
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my problem is the timing chain guides at my passenger side is making noises like ticking noises very very annoying so my mechanic told me it depends on whats the problem in there but it could talk 16 hours of work :eek::eek:
good thing he said if its really 16 hrs then 30$ an hour which is great and i highly doubt its gunna take 16 hrs
my question here does anyone know whats the procedure or any tips?
not every day i here the ticking noises some days or some parts of the day i should say i dont hear it at all and some other parts of the day WOOOWW so loud.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
2002 s500, 2004 S500 fourmatic
267 Posts
Benzat17:

This takes me back to the W140 days. Owned a 95S420 with 400k+ on it and was always paranoid the the timing chain guides had worn. The reason I say that is that in that motor, should the guide break, and they had a tendency to break into little pieces with age, you could grenade the top end of the motor. At that time, $7k+ to repair. I was under the impression that this problem got solved in the late 90's.

Anyway, in the W140 you usually just replaced the upper guides, not the lower ones as the cost to do the lower section of the motor was huge. If you do this, I would do both sides, not just the passenger side, because if one side has aged, what's to say that the other hasn't. This by the way is the first time I've heard of a timing chain guide problem in this series of Benz.

I have to ask though, are you sure its not a lifter? Is it louder when first started (cold) and then gets quieter as the engine warms?

Tower

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 2003 -- S430
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its low when i start the engine and gets louder later on
and sometimes it just doesnt get loud and runs with no sound no problems !!
i am going to change both sides for sure but why do i only change the upper one and not the lower one ? my mechanic did have Stethoscopes and we heard it at one side and its the upper side we didnt check the bottom
btw do you have a diagram or anything?
thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts