Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members,
I plan to replace timing chain, any suggestions on the brand name of of timing chain?
Seems there are two brands of chains on the market, one costs more than $150(iwis), another is about $60(beck), why there is so much difference?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Iwis (Sometimes looks like Jiwis) is the only quality Timing Chain.
Take a close look at the Chain on the left the cheap one compared to the IWIS Chain on the right.
The IWIS Chain on the right has parts made of thicker material. larger Pins and a better fit.

Another problem with the Beck Arnley Chain is that if you are putting the Chain on an assembled Engine you have to cut off one of the links and replace it with a master link because the Chain come assembled (circular).

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iwis (Sometimes looks like Jiwis) is the only quality Timing Chain.
Take a close look at the Chain on the left the cheap one compared to the IWIS Chain
ut off one of the links and replace it with a master link because the Chain come assembled (circular).
Good information.
Will regular chain pressing tool work on this?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Good information.
Will regular chain pressing tool work on this?
With the exception of the tool used to press out the Pins on a Motor Cycle Chain I do not know what a regular Chain Press is or looks like.

There is a specific made Tool for putting the Crimp on the Master Link Rivets when the New Chain is installed.

People most often use a Cut off Tool on a Die Grinder to cut through one of the links on the original chain or grind of the riveted ends of one of the links. So they do not need a chain press to remove the old Chain.

The special crimping tool comes with either a Single Row Chain Die or a Double Row Chain Die or can be had with both dies and used to cost around $265 dollars.
They can be seen on eBay sold by Zdmak, El Paso or Baum Tools.
There is also now a made in China or ? one at around $180.
I think the $225 one is more likely to have a better resale value.

Repair Links
DIY Links by Parts Category - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

This site has some tools they rent.
I am not sure if there is a Timing Chain Crimper for rent or not. If you read through the above threads in the above links I believe one of the guys who is actually a mechanic said he would loan out his if ask to but I do not remember his member name.
TOOL RENTAL LIST
Tool Rental Master Member List - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

2 members of the Peachparts forum claim to have peened over the Master Link Rivets with a Hammer (and Punch?).
Considering the cost of the parts and what can happen to the Engine if the Chain pops; peening the Link with a Hammer is too much adventure for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
cost

I do plan on looking for the best price.. but what is the average cost of a timing chain replacement if I took it to a shop to be done?

Mind you.. I have a friend at my nearest Mercedes dealership that gets me a 60% discount on the parts.. so would it be worth to bring it there?

Also.. I would like to get my injection pump re timed.. how much does that go for?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I do plan on looking for the best price.. but what is the average cost of a timing chain replacement if I took it to a shop to be done?

Mind you.. I have a friend at my nearest Mercedes dealership that gets me a 60% discount on the parts.. so would it be worth to bring it there?

Also.. I would like to get my injection pump re timed.. how much does that go for?
Prices for Shop Labor vary too much with in a City let alone acrossed the country.
It is one of those things that you just have to get on the Telephone and ask the individual Shops about.

You also might want to ask them if they have the special tool to Crimp/peen the timing Chain Link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts