Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,
My dealer tells me to get the Timing Belt replaced. It is making a sqeeky noise when i start her.

Does anyone know how much would it cost me?

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Explain Squeaky noise.. what does that mean?
I thought your engine has i timming chain .. the belt is for the ancilaries ***did i spell that rite??

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Shouldn't be any more than $200. My C-280 cost $185 IIRC.

The 320 is pretty much the same engine, just a little more displacement. If the dealership wants more, run to your nearest independent Mercedes mechanic. Have a look yourself. If the belt shows wear in the form of significant cracking or missing chunks, it's definitely time for a new one. A screeching belt doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be replaced, just that it needs to be retensioned. If it looks old replace it, if not just retension it.

And, yes, the belt is not a timing belt. It's for ancillaries.

Brett

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Thank you Brett that was what I ment .. brain went dead whist typing....

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
The serpentine belt can be replaced very easily for about $30. I used a Dayco belt. I have written a procedure before in this forum. It is for an S420, but, perhaps it is similar to the S320. The Dayco belt is better than OEM I think. Regardless, the procedure is very simple. Literally a 10 min job. BTW I was quoted $45 for labour to replace the belt. So total cost should not exceed $75.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts