Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked me the part number of the TimePort PSE with which I replaced my StarTac PSE in order to get caller ID readout on COMAND with a MikBox installation. I apologize for the delay in answering, and I have not been able to find the question again in the threads to answer directly - even after much searching.

The PSE I used was Q 682 0648; it was not an autosense model (one that could be used with a TimePort or a V60, SYN 9266A, Q 682 0754). If you get an autosense unit, please check with MIK to determine which version of the MikBox to order.

I have updated the technical publication for the MikBox installation in my car at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317 to reflect this information.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Thanks again Skylaw. I sent you an email. That is why you could not find a posting. I did get the same Timeport PSE you used:) I have all the components in the car, but Mikbox is out of cables. However, I can't control my CD, Radio, or NAV with the VCM. The Help asks which component I want help with and goes through the full menu. But when I try a command, it ignores it or in the case of CD it says "no CD" eventhough the CD is playing. Sound like a coding problem? I have a "C-NAV". Have not heard of a VCM upgrade for these done by anyone yet. If so, I would love to hear about it. I will press on.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gmcamp,

If your VCM installation was new to your car, your fiber optic ring (D2B or Digital Data Bus) will have to be version coded. A dealer can do this; it requires a special Mercedes laptop. I don't believe the "C" nav system has any effect on your VCM. It mainly affects what CD nav discs you use.

You can find a tremendous amount of information on the D2B bus (and a whole host of other things including the cell phone mods, VCM, and a whole bunch of stuff on Paul H. Di ck's website at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/index.htm. In fact, Mercedes training instruction on the D2B bus is listed at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/misc_phone_info.htm It really helped me to spend some time browsing there.

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Ok, I will check into getting it recoded. The car did have "phone only" voice control (which still seems to be working)originally, but the new commands are ignored.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you already had an OEM phone and a voice control unit, the new (MY 01) voice control should work. Before you spend the money on coding (my dealer charges $95 just to hook up the laptop) you might search the forums a bit for proper coding. I know the codes have been posted - but I can;t afford the time to search for them tonight. You can enter the diagnostics mode of your COMAND unit to see the coding that is currently present (Mute+1+3).

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have thought of this sooner - the VCM works in conjunction with the PSE. The '00 W220s sold with StarTac had VCMs for phone only; when Mercedes went to the TimePort for '01, they also went to the VCM with the increased control capability. Both models used COMAND 2.5. Your new VCM may be limited by the StarTac PSE, if it is still in place.

I just checked the dates for my MikBox and Timeport PSE installation, and the VCM upgrade. I did the MikBox installation and Timeport PSE upgrade a week before doing the VCM upgrade - so the new VCM was being used with the PSE it was designed for when I put it in.

You mentioned that completion of your installation was awaiting delivery of cables. You may find that the newer VCM may work once your installation is complete. Please let me know - this sounds like the most logical solution.

My car required no COMAND version coding after any of the upgrades.

I had a problem with a firmware update on an iceLink installation that replaced my CD changer (integrating my iPod). No knock on Dension, I had a corrupted file in the download. They're sending a replacement unit; however, I'm not sure that with the bad iceLink module in place that my version coding readouts are accurate. Once that is fixed in a few days, I'll send you my version coding readouts - that may help you to determine if you need to go through that.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gmcamp

I hope the following can help you to determine if you need to have your D2B bus version coded. These are from my late Nov '99-manufactured 2000 S500. Don't worry about monitor background color differences - it just depends on whether i used a flash or not. It's nothing I did to reset anything.

1. You enter the COMAND Service menu by pressing and holding Mute+1+3, together, for about 5 seconds or more. You'll see the result in the first photo. Select "Diagnosis."

2. In the Diagnostic menu, select "D2B Components" as shown in photo 2.

3. The version coding for the D2B bus in my car is shown at photo 3. The D2B Master is the Radio; Component 1 is the Bose audio system; Component 2 is the CD Changer; Component 3 is the cell phone; Component 4 is the Voice Control module; and Component 5 is the Tele-Aid.

4. You can also select "Versions" in the Service menu (photo 2), and then scroll down to "D2B." My readouts are shown in photo 4. Please note that although no phone is shown, I had my Moto V710 in place, with the MikBox and Timeport PSE in place. Despite nothing showing, everything works. I don't know if the CD Changer entry was changed after I installed an iceLink to allow an iPod to replace my CD changer.

5. The fifth photo is current mileage. I wonder if my car is telling me it wants to be an S55...

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Skylaw you are awesome! Thanks for the info. I did install a Timeport VCM. All items are in place (MY01 VCM, Timeport PSE [same model as yours], Dual band Compensator and dual band antennae switch) except the MikBox and the cradle. I checked out my D2B components screen per your instructions. I found a couple things. First, I only show 5 positions, 0-4. The "000" for Tele-aid is missing, but I have Tele-aid installed in the vehicle. Second, The "Config" line looks like yours (except no pos 5). However the "Actual" line has pos 2 and pos 3 flipped. Pos 2 Actual: 0F0, Config: 190. Pos 3 Actual: 190, Config: 0F0. So that means that I need recoding to get this stuff to match, right? Or is this correctable by switch the fiber optic connections on the CD and the PSE??? I don't think I mixed them up during the installation. I only remove the fiber optics for the PSE and the VCM and replaced them. I did not touch the CD fiber optic cable. (If the VCM is sending CD commands to the PSE and phone commands to the CD, I can see that being a problem.) Although the phone is not installed yet, I can get it to store phone numbers via voice command. So that should mean that it is talking to the PSE, right?

I also checked my S/W versions and they match yours. BTW, when I press the "i" button in the console a voice tells me to contact an AT&T representative.

Again thanks for your help so far. Any additional info you think might help would be greatly appreciated.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gmcamp

It does appear that you have a version coding problem - however, I am not a service technician and cannot tell you with certainty what the cause is. I hope that some of the highly knowledgable folks who read these forums can help.

The reversal between actual and config would seem to be problem. In addition, since you have the same equipment as I do (radio, audio, CD, phone, VCM and Tele-Aid), your coding seems to be missing a component.

As you mention, you may have physically reversed the PSE and VCM fiber optic connectors, especially since the reversal is among those components. However, in my car the fiber optic wiring for the PSE would not have reached my VCM. If your connectors physically reach, you might want to give reversing them a try- but don't stress or overly bend the cables!! I have no certainty that will fix things - but check. If you're still short a coding for a component, however, you may continue to have problems.

You need a subscription to Tele-Aid before it will be functional. Your dealer can give you the phone number number - it is about $250 per year. The contact point is also on the MBUSA website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I JUST INSTALLED THE TIMEPORT SYSTEM WITH THE MIKBX FOR A V710 IN 1 1999 CLK320 CAB.I AM GETTING "NO PHONE" ON MY RADIO SCREEN. DO I NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THE CODES INSTALLED?.
AND
WHERE CAN I FIND THE MANUAL FOR MY RADIO THAT WILL TELL ME WHICH CONTROLS OPERATE THE PHONE

·
Registered
163 Posts
"NO PHONE" really means "no PSE". Make sure your fiber ring is configured as described in the Mercedes Phone Install Bulletin. When the head unit sees the PSE, it will say "Phone unplugged" or "No phone connected", or similar, dependent on what COMAND version you have.

It is also possible that the PSE has no power. Some cars require you to add fuses for the install. This is also described in the Install Bulletin.

As a next step I would pull the fiber connector off the PSE, have someone restart the COMAND, and look if the red side is flashing.

When restarting the COMAND, make sure you leave it turned off for 30 seconds, before turning it back on.

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Hello again,

Well, now I am real close to getting everything working. All components have been installed, but I still have a problem. When the phone is put into the cradle it begins charging and the screens says "Intializing phone. Please wait." But it never does. Sometimes it does not see the phone at all. The signal strength shows the small "s" in the upper right hand part of the comand screen , but no bars register (even when the phone is as high as 5 bars). Could this be a problem with the antennae or the switch? Also when I push the tele-aid "i" button I get a message from AT&T, which seems to indicate that it is able to communicate with the outside world (how do you hang up Tele-aid anyway??? I tried pushing the button again, but it just keeps blinking for a long time (or dials again) basically until I shut down the car).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have sent an email to Mik, but I think he is out of the country.

FYI, I am using a V60 gsm phone, MB V60 cradle (with orange wire cut, per Mik direction), Timeport PSE, Dual band switch and compensator, VCM (CD, radio, NAV, Phone version) in an early 2000 S-5000 with a "CD" 2.5 control head/NAV.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you activate tele-aid, you change the bumper antenna from the cell phone to the dedicated tele-aid phone, using the antenna switch. I'd have to consult my manual on how to turn it off - but turning the ignition off and removing the key should certainly do it. Likely, pushing the "end call" button on the steering wheel or selecting it on COMAND would do it also.

I have been able to resolve problems with initialization by 1) always turning the phone on before inserting it into the cradle; and 2) sometimes turning COMAND power off, then back on again (the latter has rarely been necessary). If I ever insert the phone into the cradle, then turn it on, initialization won't complete and all I get is battery charging. Initialization can take 20 seconds.

Plus - I assume your car has been version coded for a phone by now.

You likely won't get a signal strength indication until the phone initializes; that appears on mine as soon as initialization finishes.

·
Registered
ML 55, ML 430, S500
314 Posts
I am planning the same v710 install with the mikbox into my 2002 s500 with nav, voice activation, etc which is currently using a v60s phone. I have been following your dialogue and I wonder if I will have the same initialization problems that you mention??

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could have the same problem; however, MIK has a new firmware update that turns the phones on & off with the ignition, and it may solve that.

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Hi All,

Still working the issue. I do still have a coding problem as described earlier. The dealer did not want to recode (of course not, I'm under warranty). They claim that since the CD is working the phone should work also. I am going to go back when I have time to argue (was rushing the last time) and insist that they bring the car up to spec. Also, my MikBox is on it's way back to Mik for a firmware update.

I will let everyone know how it works when I get it back together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts