Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gassed up my SL this evening..... $77.... Ouch!
Sharing my pain at the price of premium was a guy driving a new Corvette convertible and another with a BMW Z4. Very nice cars, but guess who drew a couple of compliments from drivers of more mundane rides? Me and my obsolete machine, all dusty as it was.
There is still something about the 107.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,242 Posts
I have to ask. Was the top down? What was the situation regarding the windows?

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Strange but true: The turd ('62 Ranchero) gets more compliments than the 450SL ever did. No, I'm not making this up. But I do live in Texas -- perhaps that explains it. It seems everyone down here over the age of 45 had a Falcon or Ranchero at some point...or at least their parents did.

Just this morning as I was filling the turd, I had a guy offer to trade me his shiny new Dodge Ram pickup for the turd. He even knew it was a '62...the exact year. I'm refused, telling him, "I know what kind of gas mileage that thing makes!"

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
dugald, was that just for a half tank? I filled up yesterday and 16.75 (conversion to USG) set me back $91.25 (205 Miles). That hurts, but TDWD. Glorious day!

Loren

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,166 Posts
dugald, was that just for a half tank? I filled up yesterday and 16.75 (conversion to USG) set me back $91.25 (205 Miles). That hurts, but TDWD. Glorious day!

Loren

Loren,

Are you using premium? In our area, regular gas was 1.22 when I last filled up, but now about 1.29 ( ~US$4.78/usg) - Premium can cost 8-10c more.

Manual for our old cars says fuel should have min octane rating of 91 RON. This is equivalent to 87 (Regular) in North America.

I usually use regular, but sometimes put in some mid-range gas (89?). Never premium.

In the MBCA Star, there was an article about car clubs in Germany convincing their government not to go to 10% ethanol because of the affect on their older cars. But no details were given. It would be interesting to hear the reasons given.

It would also be interesting to know what MB would recommend for use in our old cars now that all of our fuel is likely to have 5-10% ethanol. Luckily ethanol, is an octane booster, so knocking should not be the problem (I imagine ethanol allows them to reduce MBTE)

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Thanks, Graham

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the rating. All I saw was 91 and assumed it was premium. I guess I will be changing that in a hurry.

The price was $1.439 per liter or $5.45 per usg. Regular is about $1.31.

I wonder what affect going to regular will have on performance and consumption? It's going to be interesting.

Can using too high of a fuel grade affect the car running a bit hot? Also, I will be taking the car in for AirCare testing today, which is a requirement for Collector Plates. I sure hope she passes. Could the fuel affect emissions?

Loren

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to run regular unleaded 87 octane in my '74 450, no problems.
My '86 560 guzzles 91 octane premium, per the owner's manual.
Beauty has its price.

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
Thanks, Graham

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the rating. All I saw was 91 and assumed it was premium. I guess I will be changing that in a hurry.

The price was $1.439 per liter or $5.45 per usg. Regular is about $1.31.

I wonder what affect going to regular will have on performance and consumption? It's going to be interesting.

Can using too high of a fuel grade affect the car running a bit hot? Also, I will be taking the car in for AirCare testing today, which is a requirement for Collector Plates. I sure hope she passes. Could the fuel affect emissions?

Loren
Here is the link that explains how the octane numbers are derived:

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think higher octane will affect your car negatively at all - Just costs more and is not needed for the lower compression the early 4.5L engines have.

I have collector insurance, but no need for special plates here in Ontario. And no need for emissions testing either. I doubt my car would pass. It is running rich since I boosted the fuel pressure to eliminate the hot-start problem.

I would like to find a CO analyser or air fuel gauge so as to adjust the MPS for leaner running - anyone have any ideas on an inexpensive way of doing this?

Graham

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
For Collector Plates here in BC, we first must have the car emissions tested. Once passed and you get your Collector plates we don't have to have any future tests done, however if the vehicle changes hands and the new owner wants Collector status they must have testing done again.

Age and model of the car is taken into consideration. The car doesn't have to meet the present emissions standards built into the newer cars.

Wish me luck!

Loren

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
I used to run regular unleaded 87 octane in my '74 450, no problems.
My '86 560 guzzles 91 octane premium, per the owner's manual.
Beauty has its price.
Just out of interest, what octane (RON) does the '86 560 manual say you should use?

Don't know if you have seen this discussion - says '86 cars had a resistor so they could run on lower octanes:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1372807-remove-resistor-advance-timing.html#post2843516

·
Registered
1987 560sl 100k miles, 1987 300sdl 195k miles
63 Posts
Ive always put 91 in my 87 560. Set me back $90 dollars to fill up today :(

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I wonder what affect going to regular will have on performance and consumption?
New cars have a knock sensor that will retard the timing (decreasing performance and increasing gas use) if you use a low octane gas that isn't up to the compression of the engine. 107 engines don't have knock sensors, so they'll either run fine or they'll knock and ping. If you get knock and ping, use a higher octane fuel. If you don't, pay less and be happy. Performance and mileage won't be affected either way, because premium gas doesn't have more energy, it just has a higher resistance to pre-ignition, the stuff that causes knock and ping.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
10,166 Posts
Manual says R + M / 2 = 91. R = 96, M = 86

Thanks for the link.
R is RON and at 96 is close to what they sell as regular (called Eurosuper) in Europe. But you need premium here, at least if you are doing any hill climbing.

For our older cars, (R+M)/2 = 87 should be Ok (91 RON). Additional octane beyond what the engine needs does no good (or harm, except to the pocketbook).

BTW, for those living at high altitudes, there is less requirement for the higher octanes. You can roughly drop 1 octane unit per 1000 ft of altitude.The figures MB quote are probably for sea level.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,319 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts