Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ex-embassy S500 LWB has to go. A "friend" who got halfway through installing a good engine and 'box disappeared with the job 3/4 done and now it is finished, the head gasket(s) has gone.

Time to move on. It is a pretty good, solid car otherwise which always breezed through it's MoT.

1995; gunmetal grey, light grey interior, early type dash and a few later specs such as the intermittent wipers and bumpers so it is a crossover vehicle. New door pump with the old one as spare, new Bilstein shocks, rebuilt throttle body, new engine loom, new oil cooler, new steering damper, new bottom front trunnions, police type main/dip flashing headlamps, threaded brass ferrule on the centre console lid where the gun box used to go, TV/DVD in rear, Clarion 12 disc stereo etc. No wierd noises at all from the suspension and handling solid as a rock. I even have a new pollen filter ready to go in.

Apart from the late spec. low mileage engine which was good until it stood with no coolant in for 18 months due to that f$%^&$£""g idiot who screwed me, it all works (apart from the boot closing, as the new pump is from the later model (being a mix up model I own) and I was going to swap the new motor into the old pump, but never got that far).

Its in the UK, near Stoke on Trent. Anybody care to make an offer?

Pity as its a great car which I intended to keep, but since this nonsense began I now have a Phaeton V10 diesel which is also a great car; faster, more economical and works every time.

PM me for more.

Damn.

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, just put it on Ebay and it sold in 5 minutes. Ho hum.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1995 MERCEDES S500 LIMO AUTO BLACK on eBay (end time 21-Nov-10 16:47:03 GMT)

£600, but I made sure I took the AV kit out first (amps, TV/DVD). The stereo was a bit old hat and I felt it would make the sale go easier as I need the space.

It is now in pieces and on the way to Africa in a container. A sad end and even my wife liked it!! Thanks must go to the "dick" who finally killed it. Economics I'm afraid.

At least the Phaeton is fantastic!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apart from the tech spec which is easy to find, I'll give impressions.

Positives first. Just as solidly put together, but with 10 years extra thought, technology & development to go into it. You can tell they've tried hard as the sound system is better (I haven't tried the latest S though), it sits more reassuringly on the road (not that the 140 was a bad car, far from it especially given the bulk. Typical VAG "big car" it is nose heavy, but you are going very fast to really notice. I would put the V10 at the same level as the S500 as being one down from the top, or "best" compromise. Faster, much faster, and just as quiet, 26mpg mixed driving, 36 on the motorway. Ride is just as good, but fully adjustable. And its very rare due to the "wrong" badge. I love the anonymity and people let you into traffic. Different toys and gizmos.

Negatives. Costs more as its newer, but the initial depreciation helps a second owner. Very heavy. Useless Nav interface. Very heavy on front tyres.

No regrets though, just a pity my 140 got rogered by a so called friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts