Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New rubber.

Got my money out of those.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
121 Posts
Excellent!! Of course with summer here you could probably put off getting new shoes until it rains.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
I know a couple of used tire shops down this way that would give you a few bucks for those!!! :D

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
I think those old tires failed the "penny" test a long time ago!!!

How many miles did you get out of the old ones?

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
32,000 miles.

When they got low I started to burn rubber every time I took off just to play them out.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Rotate these left-to-right - you still got some thread :)

Legal disclaimer - just kidding.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
My God friend....you probably had a heck of a time stopping in the rain! Did the fronts look anywhere near as b.., uh, I mean utilized? I've got 17k on mine so I'll be watching what the guys here recommend.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't drive on them much, all the blisters came from burn outs.

Like I said when the tread got low I wasted them.

I live in the country she rarely goes up to the interstate, 95/495.

At $340.00 a set I baby them when they are new, never spin a new set. Cost's too much. lol

Fronts are almost new, they never look like those.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
ive put little over 15K miles into my rear HANKOOKs and they are alomost gone, at least from the center-inside...... thats what happens when you drive a 320 :p

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2000 S 430, 2003 ML270 CDI
291 Posts
Hmmm.. Everyone seems to get their tires worn more from the inner half. And that's probably due to the negative camber on SLK?

So, has anyone ever adjusted the camber to be neutral? Would that make sense, or do you lose too much of the cornering performance or something else?

Or, has anybody ever rotated the tires left to right - well of course you can't change the direction of rotation plus it would not help if you would just switch the right wheel to left as the inner side would still remain inner side. But: How about when you have half of the treadwear left, you'll go to tire shop and ask them to remove the tires off the wheels, then switch right to left and vice versa, that way you would get the outer sides to the inside, without changing the direction of rotation. And the wear should the equalize for the end of the tire lifetime (so AMPM, this way you could even use the rest of the rubber in your tires ;-) ) ?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
finntexan said:
But: How about when you have half of the treadwear left, you'll go to tire shop and ask them to remove the tires off the wheels, then switch right to left and vice versa, that way you would get the outer sides to the inside, without changing the direction of rotation. And the wear should the equalize for the end of the tire lifetime (so AMPM, this way you could even use the rest of the rubber in your tires ;-) ) ?
So you looking at 1 hour of your time plus $ to pay to tire shop, plus risk of them scratching your rims, or screwing up something else. - Let's say the hassle is worth 100$ including your time. You may be can get 30% more life out of 500$ set. 30% of 500$=150$. There is some sense, but not much.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
$500 for a pair of tires????? I dunno where or what tires are you buying, but I just got all four Pirelli ROSSO Nero (265/35 & 225/40) for my 18s for a little over $680 shipped to my house.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
OJwerks said:
$500 for a pair of tires????? I dunno where or what tires are you buying, but I just got all four Pirelli ROSSO Nero (265/35 & 225/40) for my 18s for a little over $680 shipped to my house.
17" Michelin Pilot Sport rears - 225$ each. Had to buy one to replace blown.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts