Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please dont blast me.....not familiar with brakes.......but do these look like they are bad?.....should I change them out? Benz wants 1000 plus to change them......I feel like they are trying to dupe me.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,379 Posts
Welcome TheGreatOne20,

Pad looks ok, however, I don't believe you've explained everything here in detail or what they may have quoted you for that high price (just to change a pair of pads?? or ALL four maybe?? )
Where are the photos of the discs? Front and Rear?
It seems like you've already got the pads out yourself (in the photos shown) so you must be somewhat familiar with replacing brake pads.

Please update your user cp info-------> click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->goto Account Details----> add vehicle details----> add your make model YEAR ----> click save

We have no idea what you are driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent the 2018 Gle350 to the dealership because of slight grinding in the rear.......I thought there was a rock stuck or something......they said rear brakes needed changing due to metal to metal contact......asking near 1000 for parts and labor for rear alone. Rotors looked ok to me.....unfortunately I didn't take pics of them. Yes and it looks like I may be able to change them myself if need be.

Thanks so much for your response

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
133 Posts
There is a ton of pad material left on the ones in the photo. Is that the worst one? There is no metal to metal contact with the pad in the picture.
There are grooves in the rotor as can be seen in the pad surface, but these are not excessive looking nor a problem.
What do all of the pads look like?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,379 Posts
dealership = $tealer$hip
Nuts! What metal to metal contact, you should go back show them the photos and ask them where.
DIY or find another MB indie for a real quote

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
Plenty of pad material, maybe you did have a rock in there. Good size chip missing and deep scoring. Unless the chip was put there with a screwdriver removing them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a ton of pad material left on the ones in the photo. Is that the worst one? There is no metal to metal contact with the pad in the picture.
There are grooves in the rotor as can be seen in the pad surface, but these are not excessive looking nor a problem.
What do all of the pads look like?

Pretty much the worst one......I may still change them out on my own

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dealership = $tealer$hip
Nuts! What metal to metal contact, you should go back show them the photos and ask them where.
DIY or find another MB indie for a real quote
Exactly what I thought lol....$tealer$hip.....but yeah....I was just curious about the pad.....looks like it had some decent life left......I am thinking of confronting them.....or reporting it somehow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plenty of pad material, maybe you did have a rock in there. Good size chip missing and deep scoring. Unless the chip was put there with a screwdriver removing them.
Yeah I saw the chipping.....to me it looks like rusting is doing that damage

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In addition to the information I added it seems the grinding since has lessened from the time I got it back from dealership......but I still hear slight grinding.....am I better off changing brake pads anyway or maybe rotors if they have grooves

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
In addition to the information I added it seems the grinding since has lessened from the time I got it back from dealership......but I still hear slight grinding.....am I better off changing brake pads anyway or maybe rotors if they have grooves
If you hear grinding, you have some kind of issue. Could be a lot of things including a sticking caliper or bad wheel bearings.

What exactly did the dealer say you need? They should of given you a detailed estimate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help guys......went ahead and changed all the brake pads......found out the caliper pin was also getting stuck.......fixed and everything is back to normal.....saved 1 thousand by not going to the dealer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts