Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend our trusty wagon will be getting the front end brought back to like new levels. The car currently has 140,000mi. on it and recently has started to have just a bit of vibration when you step on the brakes, a bit of a clunk when going over bumps, a small amount of play in the steering, and a bit of an overall mushy feeling. So all of this combined with normal tug on the wheel tests indicates to me that it is time for a proper front end refresh. Thanks to wonderful places like RockAuto, TireRack, and AutoHauzAZ I have only spent about $475 to pick up all of the parts necessary to give me a busy weekend.

1pr Centic brake rotors
1pr Ackebono pads
left and right front wheel bearings
left and right outer tie rod ends
1pr KYB gas-adjust front shocks (wagon specific)
1pr ball joints
all necessary fluids and such

None of these items should be very difficult to service and I am really looking forward to getting the car ready to drive beautifully for another 100,000 miles.

I will take some pictures as I go along and let everyone know how it all works out.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
What about roll bar bushes and drop links...the most common cause of clunks from the front on these cars?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought but when I checked them they all seemed good and solid. The wheel bearings and ball joints on the other hand most certainly need it. If I still have any clunks after I do all of this I guess those would be next.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree that they should last a long time but they are cheap and easy to do while the rotors are off. So to me it just seems logical to change them. Besides, if they existing ones are in fact good I will just return these. Shipping was free to get them to me so I would not be out much money if I send them back.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
While I did have the ball joints replaced it was the lower control arm bushing that really made the difference on mine.

As others have said ......wheel bearings last a long time and so do the shocks although at your miles I'm sure they are getting tired.

Mine is a 4 matic -- If you are removing the spring I would do everything while it is open.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I grab the rotor and give it a shove I can see and feel the clunk as the wheel bearing and ball joint move around a bit. That I why I figured those were the culprits especially since everything else seems good and solid. The tierod ends are obviously tired as are the shocks. I will certainly check over everything else while I have the car up and everything apart. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well everyone who said the wheel bearings should be fine take a bow. You were right. The old ones were still as smooth as butter with not a trace of play once I was able to isolate them from the other parts.

As for the old tierod ends and the ball joints. Boy were they shot. So, after a bunch of work there are no more clunks, no more vibrations under braking, and no more worn shock wallowing. All in all a very successful project.

And a small RMA for AutohausAZ for unneeded wheel bearings.

Thanks to this site (and the people on it) for so much really useful info. which make projects like this so much easier!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
How do the KYB shocks feel? Do you have a 4-matic.

I have used KYB as replacements and have always liked them -- never had the opportunity to do so on an MB .... but I have always like the results.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do the KYB shocks feel? Do you have a 4-matic.
Our is not a 4-matic.

So far they feel a bit stiffer than stock and the ride is well controlled. I suspect once they are fully broken in they will still be just a little bit stiffer than stock which is fine with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts