Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wall Street waged war on the American economy and middle class with its reckless gambling.

It wasn't Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac that crashed the economy. It wasn't the federal government. It wasn't hapless homeowners who were sold mortgages they couldn't afford. It was Wall Street financiers that aggressively sought and bought mortgages to package and sell as derivatives, which the banks could wager on.

Americans bailed out Wall Street, handing it a Marshall Plan for reconstruction after its bad bets blew up the world economy. Now, three years later, happy days are here again for the Wall Street banksters. They're hauling in big profits and paying outrageous bonuses. But the American middle class continues to suffer high unemployment, record foreclosures and rising poverty.

So it's time for Wall Street to pay reparations. It's time for a crash tax, a tiny sales tax on Wall Street transactions, the revenues from which would pay for Main Street restoration. It's time for the 1 percent to repay the 99 percent, for Wall Street to share in the sacrifices necessitated by its rogue behavior.
Leo W. Gerard: Crash Tax: Wall Street Reparations

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I used to get really pissed about America just being for sale to whatever corporate entity. Now, I drink some Kool-Aid in the AM instead of coffee and live life in my hovel much happier.

That way I can ignore the supposed banana republic economies that have done better then ours in the past 3 years.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then we simply make the tax a percentage of net profit.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Wall Street needs to be reprimanded in some significant form, otherwise the lesson unlearned will be repeated shortly.

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts