Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC Special Edition, Black
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for/against brands for baby seats? I'm sure they're all universal since seat belts are that way...anything to look out for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
I know MacLaren makes some of the best and safest child stuff around. Pricey though

·
Registered
2001 E320
6 Posts
Britax is the one I recommend but there is a flaw in the system in that if your child figures out how to pull the relase latch it loosens the hold and presents a saftey issue.

·
Registered
2000 E320
105 Posts
Britax is the one I recommend but there is a flaw in the system in that if your child figures out how to pull the relase latch it loosens the hold and presents a saftey issue.
I hear what you're saying, but when a child is old enough to know how to pull the release latch, the child is old enough to know not to do that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Britax Roundabout in our C230K
Britax Marathon in our E430

·
Registered
2001 E320
6 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but when a child is old enough to know how to pull the release latch, the child is old enough to know not to do that.
I have a 26 month old and she figured out how to defeat the system at 18 months. I believe that your assessment is fine at perhaps 3 and up but you explain how to rationalize the issue of safety to an 18 month old child. The system should have a secondary button to prevent this issue from occurring. I am not saying that I do not like the Britax, just that it is not as safe as it potentially could be.:D

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
859 Posts
hey guys

any consensus on this release latch issue? :) i'd certainly rather buy another brand if a kid can figure this out at a young age.

i'll likely be looking for my first baby seat within a year. i wanted to know if a 2002 E320 came with the LATCH system such that it would be an easy install? In MA at least, the fire dept helps you out in doing this for free, which I'll likely take advantage of, but I'd also like to know how to do this myself. Never attempted putting one in.

·
Registered
2000 E320
105 Posts
hey guys

any consensus on this release latch issue? :) i'd certainly rather buy another brand if a kid can figure this out at a young age.

i'll likely be looking for my first baby seat within a year. i wanted to know if a 2002 E320 came with the LATCH system such that it would be an easy install? In MA at least, the fire dept helps you out in doing this for free, which I'll likely take advantage of, but I'd also like to know how to do this myself. Never attempted putting one in.
If you want the best, get a Britax. Do you really think one of the safest car seat manufacturers in the world would put a product out there that allowed kids to so easily compromise their safety?

I believe cars that are 2001 or newer come standard with the latch system (not 100% sure though). Much easier to install than using the seatbelt.

·
Registered
859 Posts
lorenzo - i believe that there may be a problem w/ britax seats based on what has been said above, along w/ the fact that no one has refuted it. if there has been a problem w/ kids unlatching themselves, i'd just as soon avoid the brand.

·
Registered
2000 E320
105 Posts
lorenzo - i believe that there may be a problem w/ britax seats based on what has been said above, along w/ the fact that no one has refuted it. if there has been a problem w/ kids unlatching themselves, i'd just as soon avoid the brand.
People say childhood immunizations can lead to the development of autism, but you're not going to deny your children those, are you?

I don't mean to be so dramatic about it, but if you're going to avoid one of the safest car seat brands out there because someone said their kid can unlatch themself, you're missing the grand picture.

Note: If the person who made this claim really thought this was a problem, why was the Britax still being used? Because it's not a problem...

·
Registered
859 Posts
while britax might have a reputation for safety, i'll repeat that no one has been able to refute the idea here that a child may be able to unlatch himself from one of these. i don't know this brand from a hole in the wall and i'm glad i don't now because i'll be more careful about my research rather than just trust what the masses feel is "the safest brand out there". the only person that even attempted to explain the issue that was brought up said that "if the child is able to unlatch himself, he's old enough to know not to do that", which is backward logic. this is a bit more black & white than immunizations; it's a child going through a windshield because of a design fault (if you want drama, there it is).

·
Registered
2000 E320
105 Posts
while britax might have a reputation for safety, i'll repeat that no one has been able to refute the idea here that a child may be able to unlatch himself from one of these. i don't know this brand from a hole in the wall and i'm glad i don't now because i'll be more careful about my research rather than just trust what the masses feel is "the safest brand out there". the only person that even attempted to explain the issue that was brought up said that "if the child is able to unlatch himself, he's old enough to know not to do that", which is backward logic. this is a bit more black & white than immunizations; it's a child going through a windshield because of a design fault (if you want drama, there it is).
Just to clarify the alleged "flaw" that was brought up, the child doesn't actually "unlatch" the restraint. There is a release lever located near the bottom front of the seat to loosen the shoulder harness to facilitate taking your child in and out of the seat. I believe this is what we are talking about here. The buckle that actually holds the five point harness together (and ultimately keeps the child in the seat) remains intact. If an 18 month old can release this buckle (which if this child could, this Houdini would be able to get out of ANY car seat), then that would be a true flaw in the system.

I agree that you shouldn't always go with the masses. But in this case, you should. Britax owners, myself included, would never take a chance with our little ones if there was truly a safety issue with this release lever.

·
Registered
2000 E320. 2002 745Li Lemoned, 2008 535i
13 Posts
Might be an old thread but at least I searched, however I wanted to ask any one who has a 2001 E320 if there is a LATCH installed, I know there is a hook by the head rests in the back, does that mean that there is LATCH hooks too by the seats , If not just use the seat belt only along with the rear hook or what do i need to do? I read the owners manual but don't recall seeing the LATCH part. I have a Britax marathon that I want to install, can some one help? Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Might be an old thread but at least I searched, however I wanted to ask any one who has a 2001 E320 if there is a LATCH installed, I know there is a hook by the head rests in the back, does that mean that there is LATCH hooks too by the seats , If not just use the seat belt only along with the rear hook or what do i need to do? I read the owners manual but don't recall seeing the LATCH part. I have a Britax marathon that I want to install, can some one help? Thanks a lot in advance.
My wagon has latch (2000) but we don't use it. I find that the shoulder harness works a lot better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts