Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'88 560SEC with stock ride height. I cut 1.0 coils off both front springs and then lowered the back via the SLS. But...the right side of the car is about 1/2" higher than the left, both front and rear. Nothing looks amiss at the front, everything appears the same on both sides and we did nothing to the rear. Could this be a function of the differential mount on the back of the diff? It looks OK, but I don't know.

Suggestions?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
16,694 Posts
Very common isn't it. I'm guessing you've tried parking on different surfaces etc.

We've had people change their diff mount for this reason only to find no change in the tilt. I think the cheapest and easiest solution is to use the MB shims to even it up.

·
Registered
1988 560 sec
712 Posts
The drivers side usually sags a bit more than the passenger side due to the weight of the driver wearing out the drivers sides springs a bit more over time. If you always carried a passenger the problem would never happen.

Also finding a dead flat and level surface to take measurements on is not always easy as most road surfaces are built with a pitch or a crown to drain water.

If you are a perfectionist you can make slight adjustments to the ride height by swapping thicker or thinner spring pads to take up the difference.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
I lowered my 1991 SEL on H&R's front and rear, Bilsteins up front. Havent touched the SLS adjustments. And my drivers rear is also about maybe 1/4 to 1/2" lower than passenger side. (So much so that on BIG dips in the highway, I get the slightest rub on the rear tire/rolled fender lip from my 17" wheels/255 series tires, and 25mm spacer setup with 25ET performa wheels. But only the drivers side and only ever so slightly).

Ive read on here where someone (Cant recall who) solver their issue with aftermarket spacers inserted into the spring. I may experiment with that.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
5,015 Posts
I've had these https://www.pepboys.com/superior-au...-coil-spring-spacer/product/290300?quantity=1 installed on my SEC for years. Two on the left front spring and two on the left rear. Note there are two different sizes. The taller ones are for the rear.

Installation tip, at least for the fronts (haven't tried it on the rears yet): It's much easier to spread the coils slightly with a pry bar (after jacking the car up) and just push the spacer in rather than to try to thread it in. Put them both in the same place then use the pry bar to spread the coil slightly and push the second spacer around to 180 degrees from the first. Easy.

PS. I also tried installing a new MB differential mount. No change in the left lean.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,595 Posts
'88 560SEC with stock ride height. I cut 1.0 coils off both front springs and then lowered the back via the SLS. But...the right side of the car is about 1/2" higher than the left.
Suggestions?
I had the same problem when I cut my front springs and I agree with Ian that they should be rectified by thicker spring pad on the driver side. Mine originally had four nub pads in the front and I replaced them with one nub after cutting of a quarter of a coil.
I intend to install a two nub spring pad to the left front to even it out; hopefully it’ll be pretty close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts