Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
-87 280GE LWB
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 280GE runs fine now after changing the timing module. However it has developed another sound from the engine head which is similar to the tikking walves, but also more "takking" - so heavier in a way. Could this be the register chain? The noise is relative to the engine rev and get a bit louder at higher revs, but independent from load / unload so I dont think it should be a rod or main bearing or so. It has run 200000 km. Any other things to look after on the sylinder top like wear in camshafts etc.?
Trond

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Trond - 3/6/2005 2:59 PM

Hi all,
My 280GE runs fine now after changing the timing module. However it has developed another sound from the engine head which is similar to the tikking walves, but also more "takking" - so heavier in a way. Could this be the register chain? The noise is relative to the engine rev and get a bit louder at higher revs, but independent from load / unload so I dont think it should be a rod or main bearing or so. It has run 200000 km. Any other things to look after on the sylinder top like wear in camshafts etc.?
Trond
If it has never had the timing chain replaced, it is far past time. Have you adjusted your valves?

·
Registered
-87 280GE LWB
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The timing chain has never been replaced and the valves has not been adjusted during the last 4 years or 25000 km or so. Is this a heavy job for professionals or could it be done by a "hobby mechanic"?
Trond

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Trond - 3/6/2005 3:22 PM

The timing chain has never been replaced and the valves has not been adjusted during the last 4 years or 25000 km or so. Is this a heavy job for professionals or could it be done by a "hobby mechanic"?
Trond
The valves you could do yourself, but the timing chain - in my opinion - is probably beyond the scope of a hobby mechanic.

·
Registered
280 ges 1989
321 Posts
My engine was really noisy when I bought it (115,000 miles) the valves were really loose and setting them up properly made a huge improvement – its virtually silent now. You can use a regular wrench but the Mercedes one is better as the nuts are quite thin and they can be very stiff and stick so be careful not to round off the flats. In addition, good fresh oil can work wonders in reducing noise. Not that I want to start a synthetic debate but you could probably use one if your engine does not leak too much.

·
Registered
'82 300 GD Cab STT ('02 G270CDi/'85 300 GD SWB)
473 Posts
Cam wear is common on M110-engines, particulary on cylinder number 5 and 6, because of a tight oil passage. A high quality oil is therfore a good investment on a 280 GE. My father had the cams replaced at about 260.000 kms, you could CLEARly see that the hardned outer of the shaft had been worn trough and some of the knockles had odd shapes. Take a look at your cams while adjusting the valves, you'll see if a replacement is nessecary imeedeatly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts