Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a little bit of rattle while driving the cobblestone streets in St Augustine which I think I have narrowed down to lose front wheel bearings (jacked it up and have back and forth play). Just wondering if it will be as simple as just tightening the nut on the spindle and calling it good.....my concern is over-tightening. Any tips on torque/specifications?

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
I just went through this. I was looking for torque specs and didn't find any anywhere (even in the Bentley manual). I did find one reference mentioning using a dial guage on the disc and tighten the nut to allow .1-.2 mm of play. I did not have a guage to use so I went by feel. This equated to not very tight on the nut. This is of course completely opposite my jeep which needed 160ft lbs on the axle nuts.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The below is from a Popular Mechanics article:

Adjust the castellated nut by lightly tightening it and spinning the wheel. Now loosen it until the casteallations line up with the axle's crossdrilled hole. Too loose is better than too tight.

Read more: Servicing Tapered Wheel Bearings - Popular Mechanics [/B][/I]

This is how I adjusted mine, as I also had play in one wheel. No worries, no problems.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sorry, I just remembered that it doesn't have a castellated nut, but as is always the case with Mercedes, something more sophisticated.

However, the idea is basically the same. You snug it up while wheel is turning, and then back it off slightly.

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Hopefully you don't have a bad bearing. The way I have always done them is tighten the nut down till it requires force to turn the hub and back it off a half turn. Easy to do on these cars. Just like a old beetle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts