Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas!!! How is everyone? Quick history, while changing my brake pads in the front side, I noticed the rubber boots that cover the outer tie rod ends were cracked and splitting, my question is do I just replace the boots or the whole tie rod end? I have 115k miles on 2000 ml430. 43sqd, if you have any input, I would appreciate it a lot, since you're like the MB technician master in this forum. Or if anyone has an input, I am all ears. Thanks....:bowdown:

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,579 Posts
busop, I'm far from being a M/B master tech., I'm just a mechanic, but a car is a car and then all have the same operating principles and a Mercedes is no different.

There are no replacement boots for any front end parts, tie rods included. If they are ripped or cracked, you must buy the item. They are very easy to change; just loosen the nut that holds the tie rod end to the rack & pinion; then removed the nut that holds the tie rod end to the steering knuckle and bang the tie rod end out. Then with a pipe wrench turn off the tie rod end. Make sure you count the number of turns taking off and install with the same number of turns. You will need a wheel alignment after you are done.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is so modest of you, really, I believe a lot of fellow members have learned a lot from you and once again, you have shared some valuable information. I really appreciate it and also thanks for the advice. I saw tie rod ends at germanstar.net for $ 39.00 and I think thats a good deal. Thanks again 43sqd. I have a part time job fixing computers so if there is anything I can help you with computers, dont hesitate to ask ok.

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
If you have not done any alignments in the past many years, the lock nut that tightens to the outer tie rod could be seized. You may or may not be able to turn it. In that case, you will have to replace the whole inner and outer tie rod. Since you are in CA, you may not have that rusting problem like we have in the salt belt.
If the $39 tie rod ends are not any well know OEs or MB brand, don't bother, the rubber boot will crack in a year. Those cheapos are not very well made and quality varies. You will save money in the long run by buying the mercedes tie rods.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks supradude for the good advice!!! I just hope they are not seized because I really prefer to work on the truck myself just to shock the neighbors.LOL

·
Registered
2001 ML430
55 Posts
Hi All, I need to replace the tie rod ends on my 1999 ML430 (replaced the front brakes this weekend and it's loose.) I have read this advice about using OE parts but I don't know who they are! I see URO and Pez parts on Autohaus, are these good parts? Or will the boots crack? I don't want that! Who makes the $39 tie rod end on Germanstar? It doesn't say. Thanks!

·
Registered
02 ML 55 (SOLD: 98 & 02 ML320)
1,309 Posts
Hi All, I need to replace the tie rod ends on my 1999 ML430 (replaced the front brakes this weekend and it's loose.) I have read this advice about using OE parts but I don't know who they are! I see URO and Pez parts on Autohaus, are these good parts? Or will the boots crack? I don't want that! Who makes the $39 tie rod end on Germanstar? It doesn't say. Thanks!

hey. i just tried to check what brand i ordered but unfortunately i cant find it :( ...my order from Autohouse Az for part number 1633300103 Tie Rod End; Outer Left at Steering Knuckle

had a cracked boot only 6 month later and went with oem straight from the dealer thereafter.

·
Registered
2011 E350 , 1998 ml320
272 Posts
actually if the tie rod ends do not have any excess play, and you want to just replace the boots, they are available in the "help" section of your local auto parts store.
Dorman Products - Search Results

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,796 Posts
URO products have let me down many times. I can not tell anybody to use them. They are poorly made from low quality raw materials.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
55 Posts
Yes, I definitely want quality parts! And I do have play so they need replacing. But does anybody know WHO is the OEM for the tie rods? I just want to be sure! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,796 Posts
When my first set of OEM factory build ones were replaced they had ZF stamped on them. The truck had a build date of November 1998.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts