Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , ive got a 1997 E230 , auto with 105k on the clock,

I can hear ticking sound from the engine , what seem to be the problem?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah, the infamous cam oiler problem. The cam oilers are either cracked, clogged or broken. Cam oilers/guides lubricate the lifters which are making the ticking noise. It usually happens like clockwork around 100k on '97's. A 1000-1200k job @ the dealer.. or do it yourself with around $300-350 in parts, it's no too difficult....

Here's a guide
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/M119OilGuides

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , but does the website applicable for the engine for w210, its an w119 ,

oh if i just leave the ticking sound what will be the damage to the engine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although only one had failed I just had all 8 cam oiler lines replaced on my 97 e420 (they are plastic and apparently don't last forever under engine temps). Mileage at 106K. Decided to replace all external rubber parts (belts and hoses) at same time and flush all fluids while we were at it.

Ticking is gone.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
jkb said:
Although only one had failed I just had all 8 cam oiler lines replaced on my 97 e420 (they are plastic and apparently don't last forever under engine temps). Mileage at 106K. Decided to replace all external rubber parts (belts and hoses) at same time and flush all fluids while we were at it.

Ticking is gone.

did you do the repairs DIY? or at a shop?

how much did all the repairs run, without the fluid changes.. i need to do the same thing. thx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Musikmann said:
Couldn't ticking also be the valves?
Yes it is the valves. The cam oilers/guides lubricate the valves and get brittle and break/crack around 100k miles like clockwork on '97 E420 and similiar Benz's. Once broken they cannot lubricate the valves anymore, hence ticking noise that is VERY annoying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also I highly recommend If you experience this problem have both Sides (banks) of the car done. This way they are both done at the same mileage and chances are If you only do one side and you have around 100k on your car, the other side will begin to tick very shortly afterwords.

·
Registered
67 Posts
srmalek said:
Thanks , but does the website applicable for the engine for w210, its an w119 ,

oh if i just leave the ticking sound what will be the damage to the engine?
Damage to the engine? Not likely. I've seen these cars run with broken cam oilers AWHILE before getting replaced without any problems. But I do recommend getting fixed soon.

Yes that website is for our engine and will work. Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
TyBenzo

TyBenzo said:
Yes it is the valves. The cam oilers/guides lubricate the valves and get brittle and break/crack around 100k miles like clockwork on '97 E420 and similiar Benz's. Once broken they cannot lubricate the valves anymore, hence ticking noise that is VERY annoying.
Thanks for the clarification; I obviously don't know the spacial (or functional) relationship between the cam oilers/guides and the valves themselves.

By the way, are we talking about intake, exhaust, or both here?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Of course the original poster says he has an E230, whatever that is.

Perhaps it's E320 but it seems unlikly he has an M119 V8.

If he has E320, his engine is M104 or M112, which are different designs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
H'yall,

Are there any other parts I need to buy aside from the cam oilers ? Do I need new gaskets or perhaps a kit?
I'm finally getting ready to try my luck at fixing this annoying ticking sound once and for all.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
803 Posts
srmalek,

Have you checked your filter housing ? Mine broke in half since they are so frail and so I bought a new one, with filter inserted. Autohaus sells it for $50 bucks I believe.

I had the same problem with a ticking on the passenger side. I added seafoam night before the oil change. I ran the engine for 10 mins. and in the following morning I ran the engine again, stationary, for another 15 mins.

Changed the oil with the old oil filter, because I can't take it out. Ticking was still there but once i inserted the new oil filter plus a new housing, inserted it and started the engine and the ticking was gone. Maybe , just maybe, the seafoam cleaned out the gunk plus the new filter housing , fixed my problem.

Hope you fix yours too !

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have been searching but I am unable to get seafoam in Hong Kong :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
ILJ,

Time to import them. I started using this on my biggest headache, . . . my lawnmower. No kidding, this is my 4th lawn mower in about 6 years and that is not good. Used seafoam before winter and left it there for the rest of the months and restarted it last spring time and engine , after a hard start for 3 mins. made a loud bang and smoke, and eversince that day, my lawn mower has been purring like a kitten..
No kidding.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Hi E430sportMB, i am also hoping someone will import it. I am not a businessman.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changed all of my cam oilers out in me 1998 S420. I went with the aluminium ones instead of factory plastic. Car runs quite as sewing machine besides all the other moving parts. I was very skeptical about the first one by the timing guide rail for which they are brittle and may brake easily.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Ticking is gone.
420 has 16 cam oilers. so you did what I did? replace the ticking bank?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts