·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there,
500 sec 1985 m117.
186 000 miles.
Stuff that are New:
Ignition Wires, sparks ngk bp6es, Bosch cap&rotor, oil 15w40. oil filter.

i have a ticking, rattle in the engine, it started few weeks ago. cold-warm engine still the same sound.
some friends said it might be the hydraulic lifters, we changed the 2 lifters from cilinder 1 (we thought sound came from there) but it didnt really help that much imo.

here is the video, sorry about the filming haha.....

a very good friend (he got alot of experince with the w126) said to change all the lifters from that ticking side, but before i spent the money i would like to know what the people here think about it.

Didnt change the Timing chain&guides.

any ideas, advices ?

thanks in advance

·
66,894 Posts
The hydraulic chain tensioner is on that same side and it sounds like chain slapping.
That's my opinion

·
Registered
434 Posts
May be a worn (flattened) cam lobe slapping the lifter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May be a worn (flattened) cam lobe slapping the lifter.
checked that when replaced 2 lifters, it was looking good, no damages etc. also checked the oil tube thing on the camshaft, cleaned it etc.

was nothing wrong with that,

any more ideas ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
google "mercedes worn cam" and check posts for info. The problem would seem to be worn cam lobe or cam follower. Maybe you need shims to adjust tolerances..

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with the camshaft theory. If the oil hasn't been changed regularly in her life, it could mess with the cams. If the ticking is 1/2 the rate of the RPM, it's more than likely in the valve train.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
just opened the cover, checked the camshaft again and inspected everything and made a couple of pictures, was kinda shocked what i found, u can see it on the pictures. last 2 0520 0521 pictures etc. but does that damage u see on the last 2 pictures 0520 0521 make the sound u see above in the film or... ?

the chain tensioner seems to be ok ?
this damage wasnt this bad the last time we checked it, when we replaced the 2 lifters of cilinder 1.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
well my 420SEL does make noise on cool/cold starts. it is my timing chain, i'm guessing hydrolic tensioner until it warms and then there is no sound from it.

your's on the other hand does sound like a flat lifter. i've heard them a lot on BMWs that i've worked on. it is hard to determine though not being there in person.

how is your oil pressure? do you have a lot of burnt oil build up inside the oil passages in the heads? i would recommend a use of oil detergent added into the oil. or even a synthetic oil. this is what i did on my 420 and will now be using a lucas oil stabilizer with my next oil change. the oil detergent will dislodge caked on oil and free up oil passages, if thats the problem .

just something to think about before trying to tear things down. if you have not changed the timing chain and components, its time to do so soon. i need to do so myself as the car has original timing parts and has just turned 162000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
changed oil yester,did it twice actually(cleaning inside engine), removed the ''old'' oil and filter.
added a new oil (some ''cheap'' 15w40 oil) and filter and i let the car run for like 2 hours, did some driving with it for like 30mins, after that removed oil again and added kroon oil 15w40 and new filter,

engine is running better, but the sound is still there.

any more ideas ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same noise happening.....I was gifted a 1985 560 and it had been sitting for about 5yrs. Changed plugs, wires, fuel pump and filter but still that noise is keeping me from driving my bad beast.....sux! Hopefully I'll find the problem

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I had a ticking a lot like this in Rose and I got a mechanic's stethoscope out and began to listen. It appeared to come from the passenger side inside the Valve cover, but when listening to it with the stethoscope, it wasn't in there, just normal noise, then I tried the alternator as the sound appeared to be outside the engine near the alternator and I could hear the tapping thru the Alt. mtg and the Alternator/ When doing some idle work and timing last week I had the key on and engine off and heard another noise like tapping? WTH? It it didn't do it the next time. HMMM. so once again I got the stethoscope out and had a listen, still nothing out of the way from all around both Valve covers and on each exhaust manifold port. I accidentally touched the Cruise Control Actuator and low and behold that sucker was clacking like a fool. and it sounded much like your noise. I unplugged the cruise actuator and the noise stopped. Wierd!! It appears that the diaphragm in the CC actuator is shot and the mechanism is just vibrating constantly when plugged in. I do not know if the cruise was on or off, but think the cruise turns off if the car is shut down. I think it shorted out, who knows, but the sound sure sounded like it was inside the passenger VC at first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts