Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming from the front passenger side window area.....it is more prevalent going over bumps and when it is colder, especially in the morning or late at night..any thoughts ??? l made sure the window is entirely up, the door is completely closed, nothing in the side door pockets ?????

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Carlos, could be the cold glass rubbing against the rubber trim in the window frame. Why not try a bit of rubber lubricant on the rubber where it contacts the glass?? I just experienced my first rattle in my 2010. Seems to becoming from the rear rt side. I checked the rear seat latch, the spare tire hold down and the rear hatch. All seems OK. May be some thing underneath. Told my dealer about it and he wants to see it and I will take it in after they are finished with the first service on my E Class next week. Very annoying and it seems to be a muted thumping particularly on a washboard road surface.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello my friend.........

Carlos, could be the cold glass rubbing against the rubber trim in the window frame. Why not try a bit of rubber lubricant on the rubber where it contacts the glass?? I just experienced my first rattle in my 2010. Seems to becoming from the rear rt side. I checked the rear seat latch, the spare tire hold down and the rear hatch. All seems OK. May be some thing underneath. Told my dealer about it and he wants to see it and I will take it in after they are finished with the first service on my E Class next week. Very annoying and it seems to be a muted thumping particularly on a washboard road surface.
Thanks for the advice....l will pick some up tomorrow...As for your issue, the only thought l have, is to remove your tonneau cover and go for a drive and see if that helps...

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Thanks for the advice....l will pick some up tomorrow...As for your issue, the only thought l have, is to remove your tonneau cover and go for a drive and see if that helps...
I will try that as I had not thought about it before. I looked at my front windows this am and saw that the only smooth rubber that is not embedded with fabric is on the rear upper corner of the slot that the window rides it. I assume that would be the only place that the rubber would make the noise you are describing. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.........

I will try that as I had not thought about it before. I looked at my front windows this am and saw that the only smooth rubber that is not embedded with fabric is on the rear upper corner of the slot that the window rides it. I assume that would be the only place that the rubber would make the noise you are describing. Good luck!
l will take a look at it.........................

·
Registered
2007 ML63 AMG
452 Posts
C-Rod, Might sound "silly" but I had a rattle on the driver's side window near my left ear, thought it was window at first, and finally figured it out it was the top of the "seat belt" plastic clip. Just moved it a couple times and the noise went away. you never know sometimes its the simplest things. GL

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks............

C-Rod, Might sound "silly" but I had a rattle on the driver's side window near my left ear, thought it was window at first, and finally figured it out it was the top of the "seat belt" plastic clip. Just moved it a couple times and the noise went away. you never know sometimes its the simplest things. GL

for the tip..............the sound is unusual, intermittent, it is definetely temperature related......l will move the seat belt adjustment on the passenger side, up and down a few times, to see if this will resolve the issue.............

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey "D"............

This seems to have helped.....l moved the adjuster all the way to the bottom.....and the sound has left..funny how this is..........Thier must be something with the mechanism....go figure...........Thanks.........

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey "S"...

How is your rattle issue coming along ??????????? Did removing the tonneau cover work ???

·
Registered
2007 ML63 AMG
452 Posts
This seems to have helped.....l moved the adjuster all the way to the bottom.....and the sound has left..funny how this is..........Thier must be something with the mechanism....go figure...........Thanks.........
EXCellant.... like I said sometimes its the simpliest thing, Really kinda funny cause that issue/noise annoyed me for a few weeks before I fingered it out!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
How is your rattle issue coming along ??????????? Did removing the tonneau cover work ???
Sorry to say it did not work. This rattle while not real severe sounds like its coming from under the car, perhaps a suspension part like a shock. Spoke with my SA about it earlier in the week. He will be out for some sort of surgery until the end of next week. I will call him when he gets back and make arrangements to get it in.

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Sorry to say it did not work. This rattle while not real severe sounds like its coming from under the car, perhaps a suspension part like a shock. Spoke with my SA about it earlier in the week. He will be out for some sort of surgery until the end of next week. I will call him when he gets back and make arrangements to get it in.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but do you ever get this rattle figured out? I'm currently researching a rattle coming from the rear, drivers side. Only happens on medium to hard bumps. It's intermittent, and sounds like something getting vibrated back and forth when I hit a bump. A metal sound, but not a sharp metal sound. I took everything apart in the hatch area more than once.....can't find the bugger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts