Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320, 2004 E320, 06 ML350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyways, I have this 97 e320 here and it can seem to figure out why its ticking when turning and hard braking. I've replaced the shocks because that's where I thought where its coming, but that seems to only dampen the ticking noise.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
any modification with tires/shocks/spring?

changed ball joints, swaybar/control arm bushings?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope everything is stock, except for the new front shocks. I can't see to tell where exactly the sound is coming from now, it seems to vary between the driver and passenger side.
I really don't want to spend any more money because it's starting to exceed the value of the car. (recently had to replace front and rear brake pads and rotor) :surrender:.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, Cali.

You've been a member a while, how about clicking the User CP link and completing your BW profile to include your vehicle and location? That's often useful information and you never know, you might have another member just down the road that would be willing to give you a hand from time to time.

If you live in a place with some railroad tracks, go drive over those with the windows down, preferably have someone else drive so you can hang your head out the window. Don't go fast, just 5-15 MPH (maybe a few passes at increasing speeds) and see if you hear a metallic clinky/clanky sound with the front tires go over the tracks. If so that is likely to be the sway bar end links.

If it's really mostly quiet then do the same thing in a parking lot that has a tall wall nearby, just do slow circles of decreasing radius and listen for the ticking sound. And does it speed up when the car does or stay constant?

FWIW I agree about maintenance cost, if I was taking the car in for basic stuff like shocks and brakes, I'd have already sold it. Not a tough car to do lots yourself, and the savings in one repair can buy lots of basic tools, jack, stands, etc.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it seems like the crank/tick when doing a hard turn, or braking down hard. Prior to the shock change there was a cranking or ticking sound over any bumps and slight turn. This started occurring after I had my power steering fixed (loud crank, ended up fixing a leak), my mechanic said that something may have been over tighten but even after adjusting it it still occur.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well problem's solved. Turns out to get the control arm bushings that needed to be replaced.

So if anyone experiencing the same problem as I was, check your bushings. I found a pretty large gap, large enough that I could use my hand and some force to move the control arm back and fourth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts