Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 slk230
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand it; I'm getting cutoff by other drivers who wants to change lane within few inches of my SLK. I am constantly slaming my brakes and honking my horn. Everyday this week it happens, on freeway and on streets by cars and suvs. I do not drive fast nor do I drive slow, but other driver keep driving next to my car and changing lane into mine, WTF. :mad:

I

·
0 Posts
I feel for you. I 'm usually going a hair faster than the limit while at the same time leaving a lot of distance between me and the car in front. Especially in the 32, since a pop of the pedal would put me on their butt in a second or two max. Stupid me...lots of people want to go faster and just squeeze in to take that one car length leaving me to slam on brakes...

Wish I had the "Laser Beam" option at times.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
You are not alone... seems to happen to me every time I drive the SLK.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
It happens to me too. I'd rather not -- and generally don't -- drive the SLK in this madness we call the city.

But for some reason I don't have the same problem in the 450SL...it must be all the chrome...

·
Registered
'00 E430 Sport, '01 SLK320
89 Posts
It is interesting how other drivers treat you differently if you are driving a MB say verses a Ford. I drive both my MBs and Ford Taurus pretty much the same. I find more drivers tailgate the MBs then the Ford. They also seem to like to stop real close to the MBs at traffic lights.

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
308 Posts
Not a problem here in the sunny south.
Same number of "bad" drivers no matter what I drive.
The biggest problem is on my end,have to be careful not to
get on their butts like irvingst relayed in above post,just a touch to the petal and...
Gotta love it on the open road tho :)

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
slk230280 said:
I don't understand it; I'm getting cutoff by other drivers who wants to change lane within few inches of my SLK. I am constantly slaming my brakes and honking my horn. Everyday this week it happens, on freeway and on streets by cars and suvs. I do not drive fast nor do I drive slow, but other driver keep driving next to my car and changing lane into mine, WTF. :mad:
I agree - same happens to me, particularly SUVs (or 4WD's as we call them here). I leave plenty of space in front so I don't have to brake suddenly and surprise the person behind who doesn't have as effective brakes as the SLK. So then everyone thinks that's an invitation to get in front of me.
Another pet hate is the two abreast SUVs driving 10 or 20kph under the speed limit. Being low, you can't see around these houses on wheels.
As Bazzle says, we are either not noticed, being low, or the drivers are just unaware of or don't care what is around them, as they think they are invulnerable in their tanks.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Relax 230280,

I've come to believe that they honestly don't see you. Our cars are small and very low to the ground, I think that we're only 55" off the ground if I'm remembering correctly. I've come to drive very, very defensively because they don't see you, especially in SUV's. They're so tall and we don't match up by the laws of physics.....size does matter.

You'll be alright, just keep aware of what's going on around you.

Jeff

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
O man, happens many times. Usually woman in Van\SUV and not using turn signals - they should all drive Vespa so they learn to pay attention whats going on arround them

I usually flash with high beams and honk the horn for good 10-20 seconds.

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Round here if you drive a nice car NO one lets you out. So just smile and know the hate you for your car, coz the have not got one or carnt have one :D

·
Registered
2002 slk230
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff Kushner said:
Relax 230280,

I've come to believe that they honestly don't see you. Our cars are small and very low to the ground, I think that we're only 55" off the ground if I'm remembering correctly. I've come to drive very, very defensively because they don't see you, especially in SUV's. They're so tall and we don't match up by the laws of physics.....size does matter.

You'll be alright, just keep aware of what's going on around you.

Jeff
The thing that gets me is, even if I honk my horn, they(cars and suvs) still don't give a crap and still continue and barely miss the front portion of my car.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
slk230280 said:
The thing that gets me is, even if I honk my horn, they(cars and suvs) still don't give a crap and still continue and barely miss the front portion of my car.

Believe me, I know what you are saying and I have experienced the exact same crap just like everyone one of us has. I was only driving my Expedition when I bought my car so I came from that side of the road, that's why I finally recognized that they just don't see us.

At first it used to really pi** me off but ultimately, I was the one bent out of shape and fuming mad while they drove down the road blissfully ignorant. So now I just try to protect my car and keep them from playing bumper cars with it.

Jeff
PS, I rear-ended a full size Buick last Feb or Mar of '06 while driving my Expedition and their bumper ended up in the back seat(very slight exageration).....none of us wants to be hit by a truck that big even though our cars are structurally stellar in accidents.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
slk230280 said:
I wounder if couple shots out of paintball gun at windows will get their attention.:)

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
it's not so only that people in SUV aren't paying attention - with speed, brakes, and agility of SLK you can arrive next to them in no time

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Like penbed51 said, not much of a problem here in the south, but we carry real guns in our cars...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts