Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo and 1985 300D Turbo
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday I got a new center bearing and bracket, drove 10 miles with no abnormal sound.

Saturday I drove the car 40 miles with no abnormal sound.

Sunday (this morning), it is making a ticking or tacking sound that coincides with a vibration that one can feel through the shifter.

Does anybody know what I am dealing with?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
If you bought one of the made in China Bearing and Drive Shaft Supports that could be the issue.
In the Manual they call for the front Yoke part of the shaft to be lined up in the same position it came off of. The easest way is to mark it before you remove it.
On your year and model there is match marks cast into the parts so that they can be lined up.

In some obscure part of the Manual they have that you are ready to tighten the Drive Shaft Collar Nut you should leave the Collar Nut slighly loose and get the Car on the Ground and put the Trans in neutral and push the Car Back and forth several or more feet. After that tighen up the Collar Nut.
Aparently that centers it.

I did the above on mine but was not able to Torque it properly and I had a hard time squeezing under the Car with my 1-13/16" full sized Combination Wrench even to tighten it. I did not have the heart to cut it shorter.

The other issue is that sometimes when you take things apart to do one thing it disturbs something else.
I removed the Differential End of the Drive Shaft to remove the Differential and Axles and I stressed my Flex Disc and put a small Crack in it. (I got the New Lemfoerder ones a few days ago but have not replace the.)
So if it was Me in your situation I would need to get under the Car and see if I could spot something.

Also when doing something else I found that My U-joint had limited Flex and ended up replacing the Support Mount and Bearing and also the U-joint (the U-joint is staked in place).

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo and 1985 300D Turbo
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for your kind input, 300Dman.

I crawled under the car last night and I have a leaking L axle. However, there is no sound coming from the rear. The oil is very fresh, as there is no dirt stuck onto it, and no oil on the floor. The leak must have started this weekend.

The ticking sound is greatly reduced when one moves the gear select lever away from the gear position indicator on the console.

My fantastic Mercedes mechanic took a look at the car this morning and found that my rear shifter bushing is wrecked.

So, I need that bushing replaced, and a new axle or 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts