Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. This one has got me stumped so far. Started hearing a Tic Tic Tic coming from right front. It matches with Tire rotation speed. Right away I think its a Nail or Screw in the tire. But after having looked for it for 2 weeks a dozen times. And having somebody watch while I drive it around in circles with the wheel all the way over in a parking lot. I cant find any foreign object in the tires. It does not go away when I hit the brakes. And it seems like its getting louder. So going to take it to the Indy tomorrow and have him rack the car and see if we can find the cause.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Make sure that the wheel is properly tightened, If thats not it, there could be a rock or other object stuck in the rotor or the ABS counter!!!! Good idea to have it checked ASAP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2005 SL 55
34 Posts
OK. This one has got me stumped so far. Started hearing a Tic Tic Tic coming from right front. It matches with Tire rotation speed. Right away I think its a Nail or Screw in the tire. But after having looked for it for 2 weeks a dozen times. And having somebody watch while I drive it around in circles with the wheel all the way over in a parking lot. I cant find any foreign object in the tires. It does not go away when I hit the brakes. And it seems like its getting louder. So going to take it to the Indy tomorrow and have him rack the car and see if we can find the cause.
I have mine in the shop right now for the same issue. When I get it back I'll let you know what it was.

·
Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Did bad wheel bearing cross your mind?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks like the Tic Tic is brake related after all. Pads are almost gone and Rotors are way way past gone.
So going to keep it in the Garage till my Indy has the parts in stock then get fresh Pads and Rotors next week. I am amazed at how many miles I got on these pads and rotors.
I guess I do use the paddles well when I am in the Canyons. And other than that its freeway 90% of the time. Only tracked it once.

Pads I got about 30K miles on them. Rotors I think I replaced back at 30K Miles. Car is at 75K now.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the SL55 has new Rotors and Pads up front. Only bummer is the Tic Tic Tic that matches tire rotation did not go away. Looks like its related to the wheel itself. We swapped the fronts to confirm it was not the Wheel Bearings. Noise moved with the wheel.
I have original AMG SL65 2 Piece 19" wheels. My Indy is having the tire dismounted to see whats up. Shure hope I dont need to replace one of those wheels. Ouch.
It could not be a crack. It has not lost any pressure. ??? Will Advise.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we dismounted the tire. Wheel looks fine. No cracks. No foreign objects in the Tire.

So all thats left is to take the AMG 2 piece wheel apart and see if we can find where
its loose or if there is something inside. That bit for the bolts on the wheels is a weird one.
Hopefully get it apart and see whats up today. I hate driving my SL with the ticking noise.
And it is loud with the top down. Only does it running straight under 30Mph.

Anybody else ever have this issue with a 2 piece Original AMG wheel.

Its got me and my Indy stumped.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the bolt is a 12 point XZN type.

Does anybody know if these bolts on the AMG 2 piece wheels are adjustable ?

Getting all sorts of conflicting information. Some say these bolts are not
serviceable.

All I know is I got a noisy wheel.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got my XZN bit set in today from Amazon. The 2 piece AMG wheel uses the 8mm.
Went ahead and just checked them all for tightness. All but about 3 of them were very tight. But the 3 needed about a full rotation to get back to tight. Guess what ?
Looks like the damned noise is gone as well. Going to drive it around some more later.
But I think its gone. What a pain in the azz. Just glad I didnt drop any coin at the dealer for what turned out to be a couple loose bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Resurrecting this thread from the dead because I had the exact same problem. I spent weeks trying to figure out what was causing the clicking noise. It was so loud it was embarrassing to drive. I tried everything I could think of to isolate the cause. I even went so far as to replace the tire, just in case it was causing the noise internally.

In the end, it was caused by slightly loose bolts on the rear rims. The fronts all checked out okay.

2005 SL65 AMG with 85k miles and original 19" two piece rims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts