Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a bad thumping noise coming from the passenger side tire area. Have had the brake pads, rotors checked and they are good. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hello. I have a bad thumping noise coming from the passenger side tire area. Have had the brake pads, rotors checked and they are good. Has anyone else had this problem?
Looking for a needle in a haystack.
?? ball-joint, drop-link, sway bar bushing, rack end, or possibly (remotely) a broken spring.
You need to get underneath and check each component.

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
like he said. could be anything so you need to have eyes and ears on site to diagnose and go through a process of elimination.

just to add an example of how bizarre it can be:
I experienced vehicle thumping noise. associated with vehicle speed, not engine RPM. took weeks to figure it out after careful recording of noise pattern, speed, temperature, time, miles per trip etc etc

the tire had an sidewall embolism that only manifested when the tire warmed up. when pressure rose, the embolism grew larger and upset the balance of the rotating tire. at the end of the drive...after the tire temperature dropped, the embolism receded and was not invisible on the carcass of the tire.

I only saw the cause of the noise when I was able to pull over immediately after hearing the thumping ... and before the blister shrunk back out of sight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for a needle in a haystack.
?? ball-joint, drop-link, sway bar bushing, rack end, or possibly (remotely) a broken spring.
You need to get underneath and check each component.
Thank You. My husband put a new ball joint on and he said it didnt quite fit but seemed ok. Im thinking it may be the problem. I will have it checked. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like he said. could be anything so you need to have eyes and ears on site to diagnose and go through a process of elimination.

just to add an example of how bizarre it can be:
I experienced vehicle thumping noise. associated with vehicle speed, not engine RPM. took weeks to figure it out after careful recording of noise pattern, speed, temperature, time, miles per trip etc etc

the tire had an sidewall embolism that only manifested when the tire warmed up. when pressure rose, the embolism grew larger and upset the balance of the rotating tire. at the end of the drive...after the tire temperature dropped, the embolism receded and was not invisible on the carcass of the tire.

I only saw the cause of the noise when I was able to pull over immediately after hearing the thumping ... and before the blister shrunk back out of sight.
Wow I will sure check for that. It does remind of a tire problem. Thanks so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts