Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have chosen to go with the Thule roof rack instead of the MB rack how is your noise level? My racks are installed but haven't installed the roof box yet, I definitely notice the extra windnoise but I also notice with the right speed of a crosswind with the vehicle at 60+mph, there is a loud whistle type noise that is loud as hell. Has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
FWIW,
I have the MB rack and it makes the same noise you're describing at 60+mph and a crosswind. Also, if you open the windows while driving you will hear some noise even at moderate speed.. (at least what I've experienced)
-Robert

·
Registered
2006 R500 Saks Edition; many past benzes....
298 Posts
i have had both and elected to keep the thule. the thule is quieter than the thule-made oem setup and you can install a thule wind fairing on the thule but not on the oem...the fairing cuts the noise level significantly....

·
Registered
2008 CL63; 2007 R63; 2001 S55 (sold ... and I miss it); 1996 Porsche 993 C4S; 2014.5 Range Rover LWB
85 Posts
I have the Thule system as well. I find the noise to be relatively minimal below say 40mph. it starts to get annoying at 45+. Note that it is not bad enough for me to take the time to actually remove the bars. :)

I have found that for whatever reason, the noise seems to be less when the box is in place. Perhaps it breaks up some of the airflow over the bars.

I had a Yakima rack with a fairing on a different vehicle and that did help the noise level a lot. Can't say as I ever liked the look of the fairing though and as such I have not added one to the R.

·
Registered
2010 R350 Bluetec
87 Posts
i've always found that, on all of my vehicles, having the box attached did indeed reduce the noise by 80-90%. I've always needed a fairing to keep thing tolerable when the bars are naked.

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally got a chance to dust off the Yakima box and installed it. Hopefully the sound will not as be noticeable. It's nice to have the extra space as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've always found that, on all of my vehicles, having the box attached did indeed reduce the noise by 80-90%. I've always needed a fairing to keep thing tolerable when the bars are naked.
Would you say the fairing helps when the cargo box is in place? Trying to decide if I should pick the fairing up, as I only put the bars on when I plan on using the box.

Thanks!

-chris

·
Registered
2006 R500 Saks Edition; many past benzes....
298 Posts
i use the fairing w/ the cargo box [a packasport 2100] and it does reduce the noise. thule says NOT to use the fairing w/ the box. it seems that there are two reasons for this: it screws w/ the aerodynamics of the box itself and, the mounting points for the fairing lift the box a wee bit off of the front bar...

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I had a few days now of driving the R with the roof box on, noise is better but still definitely noisy. When we had our GMC Denali XL, the noise was not obvious. Oh well, different vehicle, different dynamics. It's liveable, only super loud when it is windy outside.

·
Registered
R350
39 Posts
The open slots on the top of the Thule Aero bars (the anchor points for most equipment) could be what is causing the whistling noise. I have two 518 Echelon bike holders and a kayak system from Yakima on mine, and I cut the rubber inserts to fit the spaces that aren't covered by the gear. I also have the medium fairing, that helps quite a bit. I've also noticed that the rack was quieter with a box (I'll occasionally take the kayak system off and put a box on) and even quieter still when the box is full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts