Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... Just read another thread in which a guy said his dirty MAF was the cause of his startup and die issue. I have heard this before but from what I gather other symptoms would pop up on a dirty MAF. Things such as rough idle and erratic idle would also be there... no? I'm not inclined to mess with the expense of an MAF if I don't have to.

I have been ignoring the code for the EGR for years now. My indie says that it really is not a big deal to get it fixed. Basically he said that I can ignore it. The carbon has built up to an extent that it is coked up solid. He would be glad to have it fixed for me... but says that I can go either way. Now I'm wondering if that could be a relatively inexpensive way to stop my occasional problem.

1998 E320. 226,000 miles. Original MAF. Great maintenance and premium fuel. Fuel filter change at 186K did not solve the issue. Battery is strong.

I'm suspicious about the electronic ignition which I have heard could be expensive. What's odd is that it happens so rarely. I start the car (not touching the peddle thank you.) and it comes to life, then dies after about 1 second. I restart the car and it runs fine. It's annoying but liveable. I'm really hesitant to get into the ignition.

I'm wondering if somehow gasses that are designed to be recirculated by the EGR valve are getting trapped in the engine and cause weird crap to happen at startup sometime. It does not matter if it is hot or cold outside. The engine can be cold or warm with no discernable impact.

I may have to deal with this for a bit longer until I get back to my indie mechanic. (I moved and have not found a good mechanic yet.)
Thanks.
Scuddog :eclipsee_steering:

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
I've had other vehicles where the EGR valve gets stuck partially or fully open with carbon. An open EGR valve very possibly can prevent a engine from starting. In the two cases I've experienced, the vehicle would barely idle, felt like it was flooding and would crank for a while before starting. with the EGR stuck open at idle way to much exhaust gases are injected into the intake track to enable decent running.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have also had the same experience on other cars. The car will start and then stumble and die or not start at all and throw an egr open circuit code. I have not done this to a benz but the egr can be cleaned. On a caddy there are two openings and you can clean the egr valve opening without getting throttle body cleaner in the electronics opening. I just sprayed it in around the valve, used an old tooth brush and actuated it manually until it worked smoothly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts