Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 560 SEC, 94 E320, 98 SL500, 99 S420
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a gorgeous 94 E320. Super low miles and obviously very well taken care of. I do have a wierd problem however that is stumping the mechanics.

This has happened three times - never the first start of the day, but usually after I run the car 30 or 40 miles... leave it for 90 minutes or more, and get back in the car.

The car starts and idles perfectly. As soon as I give it some throttle, the car surges like crazy, like you're cutting power to the ignition or something. It has also happened while I'm going along at 65 mph. It feels like the motor just quits. I look at the tack and can see that the motor is actually still running, but no power whatsoever. I limped it into a parking lot, and it sits and idles perfectly. Try to move the car... and it jumps around, surging continously.

Two independent shops tell me the Wiring harnesses go bad in these cars, and when they do, it causes all kinds of wierd codes and happenings. "Replace the wiring harness and most of these elusive "short" type problems disappear"... so they tell me.

Well, I picked the car up today after the wiring harness replacement, and it ran great for 40 miles. Got it home and parked it. Got into the car 2 hours later... same deal.

The first time this happen (pre-harness replacement) the code read: "182 Safety Fuel cut-off switch signal for LH/HFM N/34"

This last time, there were no codes even though I was disabled with the car for over 40 minutes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon
17 Posts
Same Problem

I noticed that no one has ever replied to your problem.
Did you ever fix it or find the problem?
My 94 E320 is doing the same thing. Any information you have found to resolve this problem would be greatly appricated.

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
I was afraid to answer for fear it happens to me ...

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon
17 Posts
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes"

Cheap and Mercedes are two words which can never be used in the same sentence. I have a 2001 PT Crusier with 167,000 miles on it and it never fails to perform. Simple car with great engineering. However the only real advantage to MB is if I am involved in an accident of any major concern. My cheap MB would be the winner for me. That seems the only real advantage.

I guess safety cost big time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had to make some comments here: I have 2 cars, a 86 honda CRX and a 87 260E. They both have over 350,000 miles (the CRX has a broken cam shaft now). It has costed me less than 4000 dollars to bring the CRX to this point, while the 260E has drained upward of 15000 dollars, not counting 10,000 in warranty repairs, the whole transmission was replaced at one time. The point is that mantaining a MB is really very expensive. MB is a performance car and thus suffers from reliability problems. My CRX never stopped (virtually never failed to start) on road except when my shaft broke, 21 years later. On the otherhand, MB has left me on the road countless times (failed to start several times more), each time a new problem (expensive one too). Despite this, I would rather be driving the MB, one of the reasons is as mentioned previously, you will get into a deadly accident once or twice in your lifetime, and with a MB the probability of survival is exponetially higher than with a CRX. My son is ready to drive and I had to choose between a small sporty CRX and a large business like MB and you guessed it right, in the end safety outweighed everything else and he will use the MB (he would rather have the CRX). The second reason is that when I put the foot on the accel pedal, there is no other car I have driven (includes: BMW 545, 745, Audi TT, Porsche 911) that behaves like my 260E, just marvellous.

So MB gets high marks in performance and safety and low marks on reliability and mantainence costs.

·
Registered
1992 190E (W201) 2.6L
333 Posts
You guys are funny! You just hijacked this guys thread...after he's asking for help... from an even older thread with no response. ^^^

As for the problem, I've had to go through various remedies... before getting rid of the problem, so I really can't give you a definitive answer, but I'm sure I've researched and asked many W124 experts here. I too have had this problem with my '94 E320(must have just been this model... make note when buying '94 E320 Sedan)...

• OVP Relay
  • Electronic Change Over Valve Relay
  • Ignition Coil
  • Replaced Spark Plug and Wires
  • Wiring Harness
  • MAF Sensor(A VERY EXPENSIVE EXPERIENCE)
  • EGR Valve

After the EGR was replaced, that was it. The car ran like a champ!
I tried replacing the old MAF Sensor to see if that was refundable, but the problem came back instantly. So I put it back. But I guess it was a combination of little things. This also eliminate a Check Engine light, that kept annoying me.

But that may not always be the solution.

It was CHEAP MERCEDES!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon
17 Posts
Thanks for the info!

jgajito said:
You guys are funny! You just hijacked this guys thread...after he's asking for help... from an even older thread with no response. ^^^

As for the problem, I've had to go through various remedies... before getting rid of the problem, so I really can't give you a definitive answer, but I'm sure I've researched and asked many W124 experts here. I too have had this problem with my '94 E320(must have just been this model... make note when buying '94 E320 Sedan)...

• OVP Relay
  • Electronic Change Over Valve Relay
  • Ignition Coil
  • Replaced Spark Plug and Wires
  • Wiring Harness
  • MAF Sensor(A VERY EXPENSIVE EXPERIENCE)
  • EGR Valve

After the EGR was replaced, that was it. The car ran like a champ!
I tried replacing the old MAF Sensor to see if that was refundable, but the problem came back instantly. So I put it back. But I guess it was a combination of little things. This also eliminate a Check Engine light, that kept annoying me.

But that may not always be the solution.

It was CHEAP MERCEDES!
No hijake was intended, simple responded to an 13 month old request, buy asking if he ever found his problem, so I might gain a little knowledge from his experience. Myself and others posted a few more commints on our experiences with MB vs. the other brands; and this is where we ended up.

Fortuniately for me you answered and gave some good suggestions.

I thank you.

The forum works, sometime not quite as planned.

·
Registered
1992 190E (W201) 2.6L
333 Posts
Yeah, I'm guilty of it too.

I hope this helps, just passing along some advice I've gotten from others.

Ohh... one more thing, also have a mechanic check the engine oil cooler/pump and the water cooling system. You may also have a blown fuse somewhere as well.

Then check the codes one more time to make sure it reads consistently to isolate your problems.

Good luck guys!:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts