Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240D
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So my throttle linkages move from the top to next to the air filter where it branches off to the bar in the second pic which when moved, moves the spring circled on the third pic. (Ignore the rust :( it sucks I know )

·
Banned
144 Posts
I can literally see rust dust coming from the ball joints. Disassemble, clean and lubricate all the joints. Its part of normal maintenance.

·
Registered
1979 240D
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when I was cleaning the linkages today I found that when I disconnected the main linkage that connected to the idle return it would return just fine while disconnected but would not when connected. I also tested out how well the two circled parts in the images at the bottom move without linkages connected and they stick pretty bad. Any suggestions on how to remove these or give me the name of the part so I can look it up. The springs are both fine it’s these two pieces that will not budge. I want to disconnect them, clean them and the see if that helps with returning the throttle to idle.

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
410 Posts
It looks like you need to pop the circlips and remove both bellcranks to clean and lube the shatfs.

·
Registered
1979 240D
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you remove the bell clamps? I removed the clips but I couldn’t free the plastic clamps. May just be rusted shut. Should I just pry them off or is there another thing I need to remove

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
410 Posts
Dribbling atf or any penetrating oil may help free it up but I think the rust on the shaft is heavier and requires disassembly, cleaning and lubrication, but the op can try it first to see if it helps.
That said.,
Once you have the ball sockets and linkage arms separated and clip removed you should be able to work the crank back & forth and worm it off of the shaft, you may need some penetrating fluid to help loosen it up some. Once the bellcrank is off of the shaft sand the shaft with fine sand paper to clean off the corrosion, then test fit the bellcrank and attached plastic bushing they should be able to pivot freely on the shaft before you lube and reassemble.

·
Registered
1979 240D
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked! Thanks everyone I removed them and cleaned them and my linkages work perfectly now

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good news, now the next job could be your bonnet hinges, door hinges, and any other hinge thing as lubrication seems to have been neglected on the car.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts