Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 CLS 550 and is it me or is there a hesitation when accelerating from a dead stop? I recently drove a BMW 330 and was impressed with virtually no hesitation....

Clearly two different cars but the contrast of how well the 330 accelerated makes me wonder if I can get that kind of response in the CLS. Is this an ECU thing, transmission thing or do I just need to purchase a aftermarket mod to increase response?

·
Registered
86 Posts
get the Sprintbooster......it will eliminate the throttle lag. It cost about $280 and takes 10 mins to install.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yahya, i did a search on Speed Booster and found a lot of info. Sounds like all that have installed it are happy with the improvement although it is a bit pricey. This lag is driving me nuts so I will try it. thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
. . .Is this an ECU thing, transmission thing. . .
I think the lag when driving normally (normally for me is shifter in "D" and tranny in "S" mode) is by design. I think it's part ECU and part nature of an adaptive tranny. If I know I need the car to have instant acceleration off the line, I get rid of that lag by holding the shifter to the left for at least a second, until a "1" pops-up in place of the "D" in the instrument panel. I think this not only keeps the car in 1st, I think it may also tell the ECU to juice it up. This also works really well when I need to pass someone on a two-lane road. I just hold the shifter to the left for a second, the car drops into the best gear, and I'm off to the races. You just have to remember to shift gears or hold the shifter to the right for a second to put it back in "D".

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Try the ECU reset:

1. Turn key to the #2 ON, but not ignition, position.
2. Depress gas pedal all the way to the floor for 5-10 seconds. Some say all the way to kickdown button, some say stop at the kickdown. Try one version now and again a month later and see which gives you the result.
3. With your foot still on the pedal, turn the key back to the #0 OFF position, but leave the key in.
4. Take foot off pedal.
5. Wait about 2 minutes and then you can take the key out or do whatever you need to do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the ECU reset and I did see some marginal improvement on rolling acceleration but the car still had the hesitation off the line. I just purchased and installed the Sprint Booster and now I feel like I'm driving a different car! No hesitation rolling or off the line now. Feels exactly like I was hoping it would and only took about 5 mins to install. I'm a happy camper now :D

Actually the throttle is a little twitchy in S mode but feels just right in C mode...It will probably take me a few days to get use to it...especially backing :eek: but no more concerns about a lag. The best money I have spent on a mod so far. Definitely a huge improvement!

·
Registered
31 Posts
sprintbooster

I wanted to buy one but the US distributor has no clue. Says it is not available for a 2008 CLS 550 etc. I told him that it is technically the same as a 2007 CLS or E-class. Does anyone has a partnumber so I can just order one and don't have to bother?

Thanks
Marco

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to buy one but the US distributor has no clue. Says it is not available for a 2008 CLS 550 etc. I told him that it is technically the same as a 2007 CLS or E-class. Does anyone has a partnumber so I can just order one and don't have to bother?

Thanks
Marco
You can usually find them on ebay for about $300. Part number BDD451A

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried the ECU reset and I did see some marginal improvement on rolling acceleration but the car still had the hesitation off the line. I just purchased and installed the Sprint Booster and now I feel like I'm driving a different car! No hesitation rolling or off the line now. Feels exactly like I was hoping it would and only took about 5 mins to install. I'm a happy camper now :D

Actually the throttle is a little twitchy in S mode but feels just right in C mode...It will probably take me a few days to get use to it...especially backing :eek: but no more concerns about a lag. The best money I have spent on a mod so far. Definitely a huge improvement!
Hi Leejack.
I have exactly the same model of CLS, and I too am finding the acceleration lag frustrating. On motorways I even use cruise control rather than the accelerator!
How do you fit the Sprint Booster in the CLS?
Thanks for any help/advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts