Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am in the beginning of learning about my mog. I am having an issue with the throttle, i can only seem to reach 2400 rpm which is showing 75kph. It seems like it is getting all the slack out of the linkage, but it takes a lot of pressure to reach even 2400rpm.
I understand the mog is not fast ect....
but i did expect to be able to reach about 2800 rpm without feeling like my foot will punch through the floor....
I am also still running 14.5r20 tires which only measure 40 1/2 in tall.
Any ideas about where to start looking...?:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
with my 406 you have to really step on the pedal as well. I have gone through my linkage and that just seems to be how they are set up. you can verify that you are all the way opened up by looking at how the linkage eventually hits the stop on the injector pump housing. mogs are slow and they run much quieter when you don't run the heck out of them. but I am sure there are others who just keep the pedal to the metal and live with the racket

lou

·
Registered
1977 406 MB4/94
96 Posts
Throttle response

Check your return springs, I found one hooked at the wrong place and it made the throttle hang up. Other than that my 406 revs incredibly slow because its still set at the 84HP setting. BADCASE

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Remove the dog house and disconnect the linkage at the back of the motor. Now check the linkage for full travel at all spots. Most have problems with the petal shaft where it goes thru the cab. The rust builds up on the shaft and eats into the plastic bushings. When I rebuild this part on the cabs, I remove the shaft, pop it into the bead blaster. Then it gets polished and painted. I use bronze oillite bushings and grease everything up well and I now have a petal that is light as a feather all the way to 3000RPM's (once the pump is cranked up!) Also check the shaft that goes thru the back of the block, it too can get stiff from rust. A good polish on a wire wheel and some fresh paint and grease will go a long way in making your right leg happy!

·
Registered
1978 406
124 Posts
The need to add a lot of force to the throttle may be caused by a poor angular alignment of the linkage where it crosses over behind the engine. There are effectivly two offsets which work as cranks , one on each end of the bar that transfers torque from behind the drivers foot to the rear of the fuel pump. These may be bent or `rearranged' and can lead to a very shallow angle between the end of the offset and the rod that pushes or pulls the next link. This problem has been reported here before , don't remember if the cause was ever listed - if found.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts