Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hooking up the linkages on my 1979 replacement motor to the 82 chassis. Doesn't seem to be a match. Anyone have a photo of their 1979 linkage as reference?

Should I just put the 82 valve cover on the 79 motor?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Check out the throttle linkages in chapter 30 in the FSM - not only are the linkages different for certain years they are also different for certain parts of the world (mainly the US ofA)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 1981 240 D 4 Speed
200 Posts
Check out the throttle linkages in chapter 30 in the FSM - not only are the linkages different for certain years they are also different for certain parts of the world (mainly the US ofA)
I always wondered why i do not have any garbage on top of my 81's 240 D
valve cover anyone knows Why ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always wondered why i do not have any garbage on top of my 81's 240 D
valve cover anyone knows Why ?
Do you mean the black box? I have that on my 82 valve cover but not on the 79. It also has linkage going to the newer manifold as well as a plug in for a wire harness--neither of which are on the 79 cover. I'd also like to know why.

My main issue now: the 79 motor didn't come with the throttle linkage connector. I have mine from the 82, but there's no obvious way to fit the two together. Am I better off just swapping valve covers and using the 82 linkages?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do you mean the black box? I have that on my 82 valve cover but not on the 79. It also has linkage going to the newer manifold as well as a plug in for a wire harness--neither of which are on the 79 cover. I'd also like to know why.

My main issue now: the 79 motor didn't come with the throttle linkage connector. I have mine from the 82, but there's no obvious way to fit the two together. Am I better off just swapping valve covers and using the 82 linkages?
Yes no black box , no linkage going to manifold ( what's that for ? ) no wire harness connector nada Why ?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
That could be best. But before you do - do you have an automatic transmission? Are you changing the IPs?

Can you post up a picture of what you have and what you had?

Did you manage to identify the linkages you have in the FSM?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Yes no black box , no linkage going to manifold ( what's that for ? ) no wire harness connector nada Why ?
Probably because someone has removed it all.

Post up a picture somewhere - you might have more than you think!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That could be best. But before you do - do you have an automatic transmission? Are you changing the IPs?

Can you post up a picture of what you have and what you had?

Did you manage to identify the linkages you have in the FSM?
Yes it's an auto. I believe the donor was also an auto. I wasn't planning on changing the injection pump--do I need to?

I've found some photo references--all of them tend to look a bit different.

Here are the comparison photos:

79 engine in 82 chassis:

Different angle:

Another:

The 82 valve cover:

Another:

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I hope I have the right thread.

The later models have a bunch of stuff on the Valve Cover because the Transmission uses a Cable hooked on the Valve cover to determine when to shift; while the older models used a Metal Linkage/Rod for that purpose and I believe that was attached to the Throttle Arm of the Fuel Injection Pump.

If it has an EGR on the Engine there is a Black Plastic Cam on the Valve Cover and linkages to operate it and some tiny Vacuum Valves.

Older models used a Vacuum type Cruise Control that Bolted onto the Fender Well and a single Cable that extends somewhere to the Throttle Linkage.

The Newer models have an Electro Mechanical cruise Control mounted next to the Spin On Filter and the Linkages for that connect to the Valve Cover.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hope I have the right thread.

The later models have a bunch of stuff on the Valve Cover because the Transmission uses a Cable hooked on the Valve cover to determine when to shift; while the older models used a Metal Linkage/Rod for that purpose and I believe that was attached to the Throttle Arm of the Fuel Injection Pump.

If it has an EGR on the Engine there is a Black Plastic Cam on the Valve Cover and linkages to operate it and some tiny Vacuum Valves.

Older models used a Vacuum type Cruise Control that Bolted onto the Fender Well and a single Cable that extends somewhere to the Throttle Linkage.

The Newer models have an Electro Mechanical cruise Control mounted next to the Spin On Filter and the Linkages for that connect to the Valve Cover.
Thanks for the info ! :)

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Yes it's an auto. I believe the donor was also an auto. I wasn't planning on changing the injection pump--do I need to?

I've found some photo references--all of them tend to look a bit different.

Here are the comparison photos:

79 engine in 82 chassis:

Different angle:

Another:

The 82 valve cover:

Another:
I've never seen the set up "in real life" shown on the 82 valve cover before. Do you mind if I "borrow" those pictures?

The biggest difference that I can see between the two set ups you've got is that the throttle linkage on the '79 comes up from the right hand side of the car and that the one for the '82 looks like it comes from the left hand side of the car. Do you still have the connecting rod at the back of the '79 engine that links to the accerator pedal (on the left hand side of the car)?

If you haven't touched the IPs I'd leave them in place.

Are the IPs of the same type? I guessing from the throttle linkage set ups that they're not.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The 1982 transmission was vacuum-only, i.e. only controlled by vacuum.

The 1979 transmission used only a rod. The linkage "comes up" via the right side of the car, over the valve cover, to actuate the IP.

The 1982 engine has EGR, with linkage to actuate a throttle in the intake manifold. This will increase vacuum and EGR at low rpm.

If the 1982 transmission is still there, you should use the 1982 vacuum controls on top of the valve cover, but remove the throttle control linkage, because the 1979 engine will not have a throttle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 1982 transmission was vacuum-only, i.e. only controlled by vacuum.

The 1979 transmission used only a rod. The linkage "comes up" via the right side of the car, over the valve cover, to actuate the IP.

The 1982 engine has EGR, with linkage to actuate a throttle in the intake manifold. This will increase vacuum and EGR at low rpm.

If the 1982 transmission is still there, you should use the 1982 vacuum controls on top of the valve cover, but remove the throttle control linkage, because the 1979 engine will not have a throttle.
So do you recommend swapping the manifolds & valve covers so that the 82 mani & cover is on the 79 engine?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've never seen the set up "in real life" shown on the 82 valve cover before. Do you mind if I "borrow" those pictures?

The biggest difference that I can see between the two set ups you've got is that the throttle linkage on the '79 comes up from the right hand side of the car and that the one for the '82 looks like it comes from the left hand side of the car. Do you still have the connecting rod at the back of the '79 engine that links to the accerator pedal (on the left hand side of the car)?

If you haven't touched the IPs I'd leave them in place.

Are the IPs of the same type? I guessing from the throttle linkage set ups that they're not.
I give you permission to use the photos as you please! I don't have the connecting rod from the 79. The 82 connecting rod is a straight fit to the port side of the engine. I see the missing piece of the puzzle on the 79 motor--on the right side of the engine, below the manifold is a ball for the linkage rod that connects to the transmission and around the valve cover. No place for it on my 82 transmission.

The IPs look identical, and have the same movements.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
OK ignore the IP "problem" - it doesn't sound like it is going to be one. Leave them in place and don't mess with them (well that's my advice).

Which transmission are you going to use?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK ignore the IP "problem" - it doesn't sound like it is going to be one. Leave them in place and don't mess with them (well that's my advice).

Which transmission are you going to use?
I'm using the 82 auto tranny. I went ahead and swapped manifolds so that the 79 has the 82 mani (with the EGR). I also swapped the valve covers. Working on the linkages now. By the way, enjoyed your tranny rebuild write-up on the peach parts forum.

·
Outstanding Contributor
600 (3.200 mm)
1,542 Posts
'79 and '82 US-models has the same type of the IP - MW, but a little different models.
MY77-79 - PES 4 MW 55/320 RS 14
MY80-82 - PES 4 MW 55/320 RS 21

·
Outstanding Contributor
600 (3.200 mm)
1,542 Posts

There is set up for 616 with MW-pump, MY1982, USA-version.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts