Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 red 230 slk
454 Posts
Then why all the screens to begin with????? I"m flumoxed..Those crazy Germans Engineers!!!! Putting more than one in seems ---"redundant" :)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,463 Posts
Now that statement of you is just another proove that you dont have fakin klu about M111 !!! All you do here is making people with less experiences confused!
If you read again (i bet that you already read it 15 times,but anyway) my previous post,you can see that i have specificaly worned people to leave plastic air direction screen inside! And not just because of taking care of directioning air thruu MAF,but also because that plastic scree peace work as a filter which can stop bigger pieces to came into engine if primary air filter fail to do that.
Now i suggest you that next time take good research before posting and making yourself an idiot.
O.K. My research has showed that I can put my finger thru the holes in that plastic screen. That will EASILY allow quite a BIG nut or screw thru and ruin the engine.:surrender:

·
Registered
R170 BRABUS & W211 AMG E55 now, 190E 2,3 16V,SMART BRABUS,BMW E39 M5,E31 850i,E32 750i,etc (all ex)
223 Posts
O.K. My research has showed that I can put my finger thru the holes in that plastic screen. That will EASILY allow quite a BIG nut or screw thru and ruin the engine.:surrender:
Sorry, but you looked at the wrong screen. You have different engine.

My plastic screen have holes of diameter of 3 mm (or better to say quad).:thumbsup:

If you dont have such a plastic screen, then for a safety left in at least one metal screen.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
R170 BRABUS & W211 AMG E55 now, 190E 2,3 16V,SMART BRABUS,BMW E39 M5,E31 850i,E32 750i,etc (all ex)
223 Posts
Then why all the screens to begin with????? I"m flumoxed..Those crazy Germans Engineers!!!! Putting more than one in seems ---"redundant" :)
Because if you remove 2 of 3 screens you reduce flow of air A LOT. And you still have safety with 3rd screen and primary filter.

And yes, on the M111 this safety issue with 3 screens is over ingeniring, i agree!:thumbsup: There are only few cars on the world that uses 3 screens. Most of them uses only 1 screen and 1 plastic air directioner or ONLY plastic air directioner without metal screens at all.
I guess if those German ingenirs would be so careful at other stufs on a car like they were on numbers of that screens, it would make M111 a lot better engine.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
This was my thread and I think you are all missing what I said. The MAF on a 00-04 SLK230 has the "gun sight" piece that is in the MAF housing AFTER the MAF sensor. Photo of this piece is in the 1st post of this thread. It SNAPS out peeps. Remove this piece if you own a 00-04 as it will eventually come right off. I should have stated in the 1st post that I have this mod but do not run it on a daily basis. Bruces points are very valid and if you install this setup and have engine damage because you did not REMOVE the gun sight piece then do not come crying to me Argentina! If yojuh remove this peice then please keep in mind that the honey comb material Snogard is refering to is very solid but over the course of time it is placstic and plastic will break down over time but I would feel pretty safe as long as the gun sight piece is removed. Easy enough. Now lets move on for christs sake!

Snogards is right on the money when he says that thier is an obvious over redundance of engineering here. The screen alone is very restictive. If you were selling a supercharged car and a 6 banger (SLK320) that has higher numbers but you knew it would be easy for the supercharged car to over come the n/a car's performance then the extra screen makes sense!!! Just my 2 bits!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
C200 Kompressor M111 2.0L Avantgarde Year 2002
283 Posts
I have remove screen at throttle body. But not touch at the MAF.
However I will cut the gunsight plactic out. To make sure it will not come out and suck into the engine.
Now I feel better engine response.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What do I do to loosen the tighteners around the first pipe?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts