Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This info is based upon my 2003 SLK230. As some of you have discovered the flange that sits inbetween the throttle body and the intake manifold lip has a very restrictive screen that sits in that flange. Before anyone takes out that screen and modifies the flange be aware. The MAF on my car has a gun sight style of piece that sits after the MAF sensor inside the Siemens MAF housing. BEFORE you remove this screen it is highly recommended you remove this piece in the MAF housing. It is not glued in and actually snaps right out but be aware it is very fragile. Once removed then you can also remove the screen that sits in front of the MAF sensor but do not remove the honey comb material that is in between the screen and the sensor.

Photos show how I sanded out the flange to port match my throttle body after it was bored out. On the one side where the screen sits I sanded off the lip and took the screen and sanded down the screen so it resembles a metal ring. I then ensured while sanding out the flange itself that I did remove to much of the lip that holds the green rubber gasket inplace.

Part numbers in photo. This is an easy mod and if done in conjunction with a throttle body bore will net good results. The lip of the intake manifold is larger enough that I plan on buying an extra intake manifold and port matching it to the flange and the throttle body. Then I will enlarge my intake piping to match the increase!

Attachments

·
2,594 Posts
I did this on my SLK230 (with ASP pulley)..... removed the mesh in throttle body. it definitively makes a difference when in full boost.

on a stock slk i would leave it alone, but on one running more boost it DOES prove a restriction. take it off, take the car for a spin and you will see once you floor it past 3000rpm it flys... pop it back on and you will feel the difference

·
Registered
223 Posts
One aditional note for anyone who will do this mod; You can take out MAF metal screen and you can take out Throttle body metal screen. But DO NOT take out MAF plastic screen (cca 10mm wide) which control and take care of straight direction of air thruu the MAF!! Just remember that, because without that plastic air direction screen MAF gets turbulence and will send wrong data to ECU. And also that plastic air direction screen works as a secondary air filter (for filterin bigger pieces) if primary air filter fails or if piece of debree (like nut or bolt or anything) comes into intake after the primary air filter element.

But MAF and TB screen removal themselfs are good mods (on Fl and on PreFl 230k); I am doing this mod on every single car i have own since today for at least 15 years! Stock or moded. No matter. In both cases it inprooves air flow. Factory puts in those screens because of "danger" that engine can suck some big peaces into engine (i dont know fromm where?, because air filter and plastic air direction screen already take care of that).

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Factory puts in those screens because of "danger" that engine can suck some big peaces into engine (i dont know from where?, because air filter already take care of that).
If someone drops a screw or a nut while working on the intake you'll know why they put the screen there.
I've seen the results of that when a nut was inadvertently left in a freshly overhauled aircraft engine. The nut was sucked through the turbocharger and into a cylinder on the first take off roll. The end result was a $20,000 engine (in the late 70's) had to go back to the shop for ANOTHER overhaul, and the pilot had to get his pants cleaned.

This is NOT something for the weak of heart to be doing. Yes, it will gain some power, but the cost can be excessive if someone makes a mistake.

Note: This is NOT a slight to any of those that have done this "modification", just a warning to those that may not be quite as mechanically adept.... :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Note: This is NOT a slight to any of those that have done this "modification", just a warning to those that may not be quite as mechanically adept.... :)

You left yourself open to a joke then Brue, Good job im to mature to.......O fcuk it.......... You mean peeps like you Bruce :big laugh:

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
You left yourself open to a joke then Bruce, Good job im to mature to.......O fcuk it.......... You mean peeps like you Bruce :big laugh:
OK, ya, Klutzes like me............. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is NOT something for the weak of heart to be doing. Yes, it will gain some power, but the cost can be excessive if someone makes a mistake
Now that statement of you is just another proove that you dont have fakin klu about M111 !!! All you do here is making people with less experiences confused!
If you read again (i bet that you already read it 15 times,but anyway) my previous post,you can see that i have specificaly worned people to leave plastic air direction screen inside! And not just because of taking care of directioning air thruu MAF,but also because that plastic scree peace work as a filter which can stop bigger pieces to came into engine if primary air filter fail to do that.
Now i suggest you that next time take good research before posting and making yourself an idiot.

·
2,594 Posts
hey Snogard how did u take out the metal mesh from the MAF? yes i know its leaving the plastic honey comb mesh is required but not sure how it pops out to remove it? how does it click in?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hey snog WTF !!

Did Bruce piss in your cornflakes or something ?

All these insults your throwing round Are well out of order, I think you need to turn up you respect-Ometer ALOT.

·
Registered
223 Posts
hey Snogard how did u take out the metal mesh from the MAF?
Just simply pull the screen out-dont be worry for broking anything when you will be pulling screen out,because screen metal peace is so soft that it will change his shape in the moment of pullin him out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey snog WTF !!
I think you need to turn up you respect-Ometer
Oh yes? And why do you think so? Because he is your friend,or because you are mad on me because you see that i was again wright that he makes people confused with unreal data (and at the same time he negate my (kompetent) post with his post?
You wont to talk abou respect? What respect does HE shows to me? Maybe when he is always trying to negate my kompetent posts,infos,statements and words i post here on board ?

And what abou your respect,pap? Is your ugly language here respectfull to other members?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I think I am for the most part m8, Some times peeps will turn me.

I think of many peeps on here as freinds, including YOU, so dont see what your saying there.

And he did not say the mod was shit, he just said be careful not to brop any nuts or bolts, If your not a very good mec.

And yes I will stand by m8s on here wright or wrong, If some one on here was ragging on you every post I would also comment on it.

And for the most part after a ding dong battle ITS DONE. I do not keeps having pops when ever poss.

Makes no diff to me m8, Im just trying to tell you to chill, Before you start to look bitter, And peeps lose respect for you opinions.

But if you want to take my words not as advice but as a pop at you, and want to drag me into this little rift, then crack on.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Now that statement of you is just another proove that you dont have fakin klu about M111 !!! All you do here is making people with less experiences confused!
If you read again (i bet that you already read it 15 times,but anyway) my previous post,you can see that i have specificaly worned people to leave plastic air direction screen inside! And not just because of taking care of directioning air thruu MAF,but also because that plastic scree peace work as a filter which can stop bigger pieces to came into engine if primary air filter fail to do that.
Now i suggest you that next time take good research before posting and making yourself an idiot.
Again you are quick with the insults Snogard.
Unless YOU are willing to pay for the damage that can happen if a piece of debris gets into one of these engines, I would recommend that you be a little more careful about what you post.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Again you are quick with the insults Snogard.
Unless YOU are willing to pay for the damage that can happen if a piece of debris gets into one of these engines, I would recommend that you be a little more careful about what you post.
Bruce,are you reading my posts or not or are you just trying to make me look crazy to other members?

Once again; I WAS THE ONE who warned everybody to LET PLASTIC SCREEN IN so that it can stop big debrees if primary air filter fails and when they removed MAF and TB screen!

!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
.. he just said be careful not to brop any nuts or bolts, If your not a very good mec.
You,me and full board know that this is not what he said. Not even close! But since yoa are so good friends i can understand that laying for friend is alloud.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If someone drops a screw or a nut while working on the intake you'll know why they put the screen there.
I've seen the results of that when a nut was inadvertently left in a freshly overhauled aircraft engine. The nut was sucked through the turbocharger and into a cylinder on the first take off roll. The end result was a $20,000 engine (in the late 70's) had to go back to the shop for ANOTHER overhaul, and the pilot had to get his pants cleaned.

This is NOT something for the weak of heart to be doing. Yes, it will gain some power, but the cost can be excessive if someone makes a mistake.

I work as a aircraft engine mechanic and I've seen a little bit (like you put
on the screw driver) total destroy a 10 million dollar engine ^^

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

OK Then what does this say ?

Are you reading something diff here ?

So call me what you want, Peeps can read it, OK I did not say it verbatim, But the meaning was the same.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I work as a aircraft engine mechanic and I've seen a little bit (like you put
on the screw driver) total destroy a 10 million dollar engine ^^
You know exactly what I mean, but some people just can't wrap their heads around that concept .......... :D

There are times when taking a risk is worth it, and there are times when you have to ask: Do I really want to take that chance? That's all I said, and that's all I meant. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts