Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'94 E220
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been surfing on a German W124 forum, and this thread smacked my eyes once i read it. yes its a DIY guide on how to rewire throttle body because the eco-junk wires.

Steps how to auto-translate German (or any other langauge supported by google translate) into english:
1.I think this does only work on Google Chrome browser, so open it up.
2.Open this link: this is the German forum - w124 section
3.Once it has fully loaded, right click on a text, press translate to English.
4.Now you will see a pop-up near the right top edge, saying "This page has been translated to English. Options[/COLOR] " click on Options, and make it , German to English and tick "Always translate".
5.Re-open google chrome, double check that this is working, it should automaticaly translate the web into English.

Now, main subject:
Here's the thread showing the DIY: Hilfe! Meine Drosselklappe spinnt! : Mercedes E-Klasse W124

Photos:

Look at the cumbled insualtion :eek

After re-wiring:

Small Diagram:

Very excited to do it,however, since our E220 is the only car we have and its a DD, i cann't do it, but i will be getting another throttle body from a junkyard and then re-wire it, if anything goes wrong i will have the original throttle body.

I've already registed to the forum, its not better than here, but E220's was never sold in US, however, n Germany there's a plenty of E220's out there, and I found this thread was so useful so i wanted to share it here.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,126 Posts
I'm on the R129 forum along with w124,those guys rewire their ETA's and harness's on the 93-95 SL500,SL600 also or pay big bucks for new replacements. I would do it myself! because I'm cheap!lol

·
Registered
'94 E220
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm on the R129 forum along with w124,those guys rewire their ETA's and harness's on the 93-95 SL500,SL600 also or pay big bucks for new replacements. I would do it myself! because I'm cheap!lol
I will look there to see if there more information there.

Why I dont pay big bucks:
Yes, the problem I may face is I not finding a non biodegradable throtte, because until now I haven't seen any new (98+) throtte here in Israel. Also, I don't want to buy one fron Ebay because I cannot make sure its 100% working.

So, the only way is to rewire the throttle body, also, they said that it did work for more than 20,000km that when it they posted.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,151 Posts
^This. fleaBay is the way to go on this as long as the unit is 1998 or newer

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
I can dig that certain amount of comfort one gets from knowing their ETA worked prior to rewiring and knowing they won't have a new problem once the job is complete.

·
Registered
17,151 Posts
No, the throttle body comes with the pigtail harness attached. The pigtail was never available separately.

And I've never come across a DIY rebuild throttle body going the long haul, hence my preference for buying a post eco junk era unit from fleaBay or other venue.

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,350 Posts
No, the throttle body comes with the pigtail harness attached. The pigtail was never available separately
Yes new ETA Pigtails ARE available from MB; at least for the early m119 ETA’s..... There is a possibility they are available for m104 or other applications also.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,151 Posts
I'd love to know what the MB p/n# is for the M104 if it exists. I got a few V12 throttle bodies that I'd like to fix it up and sell then.

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,350 Posts
I have looked through EPC before in search of the M104 part numbers but could not find them. Having said that I also could not find the M119 ETA part number pictured here on EPC - which would suggest the others also exist..... you just need to konw the part number! (Not easy) I knew this PN from seeing the images online. It was cheap too - about 20 bucks from my dealer. Not worth a DIY rewire at that rate on the early m119 ETA's.

·
Registered
17,151 Posts
It looks like that pigtail might be the same as the throttle bodies on the V12 M120, and since I have a couple of spare throttle bodies on hand this might be worth a shot. I am going to order a couple if they are still available next time I pass by the dealer.

·
Registered
2009 VW EOS (Wife's car), 2016 Mercedes E400 4Matic
745 Posts
My rewire job on my E320 has never given me a problem and it's been 30 or 40k miles now. I sourced the wire though my work using high quality high temp mil-spec stuff and matched up all of the gauges with what the car had originally. I even formed the wire bundle the same way as the original with several specific wires spun together within the larger full bundle. I have seen other guys splice into the original wires where the pigtail enters the housing, but with mine, I removed the pigtail from the housing altogether so my new wires are continuous from the body connector right to the PWB inside the unit. The bundles are double 3M heat shrink wrapped, the pigtail is sealed with black RTV where it enters the housing and the body connector was 2-part epoxied back together. I've been doing this kind of work for a very long time and have been working in the electronics industry for 20+ years, so others mileage may vary. I wish my photos were still up on the thread I did here, but they are long gone.

If a pigtail for the M104 units is available, that would be huge for a lot of folks in need!

·
Registered
w124 400E x R129 w210
424 Posts
My rewire job on my E320 has never given me a problem and it's been 30 or 40k miles now. I sourced the wire though my work using high quality high temp mil-spec stuff and matched up all of the gauges with what the car had originally. I even formed the wire bundle the same way as the original with several specific wires spun together within the larger full bundle. I have seen other guys splice into the original wires where the pigtail enters the housing, but with mine, I removed the pigtail from the housing altogether so my new wires are continuous from the body connector right to the PWB inside the unit. The bundles are double 3M heat shrink wrapped, the pigtail is sealed with black RTV where it enters the housing and the body connector was 2-part epoxied back together. I've been doing this kind of work for a very long time and have been working in the electronics industry for 20+ years, so others mileage may vary. I wish my photos were still up on the thread I did here, but they are long gone.

If a pigtail for the M104 units is available, that would be huge for a lot of folks in need!
dtsdig....did you happen to make a note of the wires, gauge and length color etc.? OR...even better... since you're in the electronics business could you put together the harness, loose, without the plugs and sell that? I would be interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there! I'm new to the forum.
I recently rewired one of these for an R129 SL280. Same part number. Rewiring ok, but now I don't hear the buzzing with contact on and idling goes loco. I believe it's the potentiometer PCB, since all wires are in the correct location. Does anyone know where can one get these in Europe?
Oh, and thank you for sharing the wiring info. I was almost sure that my problem was the wiring and compared to this, it's not the wiring. HHT complains about potentiometer value implausible... or something like that. I will post more info if needed.

Cheers:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts