Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 420SEL
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<< 220 S-Class chrome wheels>>
<<Came off 2000 S500. Chrome is in decent shape, some minor bubbling. No scrapes or bends. Tires are Michelin 225/60/HR16. One of the tires is a continental. All tires are in great shape with 90% tread left. >>

Hello, Luke. This is my first or second time in this forum, but it's clear you are The Man when it comes to wheels and tires.

First question, please: would the above fit my 1987 420SEL (W126)?

Second question: when I use the interactive guide in TireRack.com I get a very limited selection of about 22 wheels for my car. If I use the specs (say 18x7 or 18x7.5, 25 mm offset, etc) I get a much wider range, even some indicated as "for front wheel drive only" - which do I believe?

Third question: also from that website, in going to larger wheels/tires it recommends up-sizing in set increments, for instance: 215/65/15 to 225/60/16 to 235/55/17 to 245/50/18 - when I use the guides it gives me slightly different aspect ratios, for instance 245/45/17 or 255/40/18- is this significant and, again, which one should I go by?

Thank you for your time and input,
Jose Byron

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
#1.) no ... wrong offset and lug hardware requirements

#2.) the interactive guide is ve...

#1.) no ... wrong offset and lug hardware requirements

#2.) the interactive guide is very accurate when considering all of the vehicle specs and is typically correct. The front wheel drive applications you mentioned usually do not have a high enough load capacity

#3.) our guide is rather conservative in tire size department but, there are many alternate sizes that can be used

1 - 3 of 3 Posts