Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is it officially (if there is an officla name)?

And what do you like to call it?

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E, 2002 ML500
1,379 Posts
HorstK - 4/20/2006 11:46 PM

The three pointed star goes back to Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybachs motorworks, before the company merged with Karl Benz. It stands for land, air and sea. When the weight of the white painted racing cars was 1 kilogram over the minimum weight, the racing manager ordered the paint scraped off. With their exposed shiny aluminium body, the name silver arrow was born by accident. Cheerio, Horst K
might you mean maximum weight? Cool story though.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,181 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out d h banana, its max. weight. Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. Horst K

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,181 Posts
The three pointed star dates back to Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybachs motorworks before the merger with Karl Benz company. It stands for land, air and sea. When the weight of the white painted racing cars was one kilogram over the maximum weight, the racing manager ordered the paint scraped off. With their exposed shiny aluminium body, the name silver arrow was born by accident. Cheerio, Horst K

·
Registered
404S
375 Posts
I recently bought a new one from Germany for my Unimog. The label says: "MERCEDESSTERN" :)

Gareth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts