Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic Estate
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started getting the 'Defective Lamp' light about a month ago. Did the check, and it seemed to be a rear brake-light (the dual-element one)...the others all worked. I looked into replacement...delayed, and was about to order it when I noticed the RH headlight (the big one) was out, as was the small one on the left.

I didn't know large & small were always both on...I actually thought that the rh one came on as a clever sorta 'compensation' for the big one being out.

But alas, when I replace the big front & rear brakelight, I learned that the LH small-headlight is dead.

But bottom line...whatthehell? How could three major bulbs go out at practically the same time? That's just insane. Might an electrical problem be causing this? Can't see how any problem could cause big surges or something to random bulbs & burn them out.

Anyone else get multiple bulb failures at the same time?

Thanks

PS...I also that none of the lights on the trunk-lid are on. I didn't look to see if there are even bulbs there, or if the lenses are merely cosmetic. If they are functioning lights, how/where would I look for a problem? That would HAVE to be a wiring problem...right?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The old style bulb's have brass bases, the correct new style/version bulb have nickel/chrome bases - mixing some nickel with the old/brass yes - can cause multiple burn outs since the two different bases have different resistance.

Replace bulbs with genuine Osram/Sylvania only - not with China bulbs sold with equivalent #'s.

Always check pin configuration between old bulb abd new bulb before putting the new bulb in to make sure it is correct. MS/Audi etc do not have same 6PM/12PM pins as US cars.

Always mark your bulb holders with a Sharpie before unlocking, and at unlock position so you can easily replace the bulb holder in correct position and not scrunch up the bulb holder.

If rear issue - good time to consider a fresh MB brand brake light switch as well - MB brand/OE only.

Be patient with yourself back there - the holders make contact with the contact plate of the housing - and clean/good contact important or things get wacky !

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
'99 E430 '98 C230
57 Posts
If you have records of the last time your various bulbs died,I bet you'll find they lasted a pretty long time. I have never had 3 different go at the same time but have had more than one a few weeks apart. My advice is to replace both the headlights with new bulbs,and you should consider the higher performance 80% brighter Phillips or Sylvania brands big difference! The smaller lights beside the big head light have the high beam bulb and the parking light. The parking light you can get at NAPA ,Autozone did not have them. Again replace both sides. The rear right side brake light is a problem area that seems to occur if I shut the trunk to hard on my 430. What I have done is take the socket out and remove the bulb, them take some sand paper or a small file and gently clean the contacts, then the bulb contacts. put the bulb back in the socket and with your finger nail or small flat blade screw driver bend the contacts ever so slightly out, this will help them make a better contact when you turn the socket back tight against the housing. The left side socket has never given me a problem. Don't slam the trunk lid!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts