Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 1996 Acura NSX-T
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it had to happen, after completing a power steering rack replacement, new front brakes, oil change on the front diff I was going to swap in a new headlight. Sprayed with PB last night and this morning, go to losen the lower bolts and a half turn in the stud snapped with the nut still on. The stud was so soft (or I am so ridiculously strong :)) I didn't even know I was putting that much pressure on it.

Any ways, I took some quick photos of the remaining stud. It does not look to be removable from behind. My initial thought is to cut the remaining piece off and drill a hole in the mount and use a metal screw from the outside towards the car. Any other suggestions?

Wouldn't be a complete holiday with so much accomplished without taking 2 steps back :mad:

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 1996 Acura NSX-T
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I got it all taken care of

Got it all taken care of...
Cut off the stud and drilled a 1/4 hole in the bracket. Put a 1/4 threaded rod through and secured with a nut and lock washer on the inside (closest to engine). Locked it down with loctite (red), and added another nut on the outside also with loctite. Was able to tighten it all down. I then covered the back and front with loctite metal epoxy (red). Cut threaded rod down to correct size and just waiting for everything to cure (24 hours).

Everything lines up perfectly. New headlight looks so clear though, so I went ahead and ordered a replacement for the driver side too :) egreenautoparts on Ebay makes some great looking OEM replacements.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts